I'm not hacking my iPot...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Mattyoak, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Mattyoak

Mattyoak New Member

Ok, the forum has been fairly cazy the past few days what with the jailbreak and stuff, however I am not going to jailbreak my iPod when I get it...

I will have spent alot of money on my iPod and therefore I dont want potentially wreck it by putting random apps on that arent supposed to belong there... Not only that but apple will release an update soon and you wont be able to use the jailbreak anymore...

I'm still finding the best websites for online apps. I honestly dont care about apps as all of them do things you can do in safari anyway...

Anyone else feel the same way?

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. andyandy6464

andyandy6464 New Member

Aye, me too.

Although it shouldn't "brick" your ipod. Just do a restore and everything would be fine...although i can understand where your coming from, and that's why i won't be hacking mine. For now.

As for the update, you dont HAVE to update. Just stick with 1.1.1 and ur hack will work.

If i had more money, i'd buy another one to use as my "test" ipod and screw around with it.

I was wondering, if i went to bestbuy and just bought one to see how easy the hack was, and if i mess it up, return it. Or go buy a 16gb, return it, but put my 8gb back in the box. They don't actually check the device itself, as far as i've seen. (before i get yelled at, i know it's illegal, which is why i'm still debating)
  3. 1337chaos

1337chaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    good idea dude

i would try it but i got the ipod engraving... and i also got a GuardFilm on mine (i wonder how hard the GuardFilms are to get off after you put them on

) otherwise yea i'd try that. thats what i used to do with my psp when i bricked it. buy a new one from walmart etc, stick the bricked one in the box and return it. i bet it would work to upgrade your ipod model too. as long as you dont register your ipod online and get engraving and crap like me.
  4. Andy Huang

Andy Huang Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Depending on who you get at the counter, some of them are smart enough to check serial numbers, others may be smart enough to check actual model... but yes, it is possible to return another unit in the box if you are lucky... for potential warranty issues, it is NOT recommended though.
  5. Metaphor

Metaphor New Member

I disagree.

The fact I now have full email (a proper client not web based) on my Touch has increased its use many fold. It sits there and checks my email via wi-fi on a regular basis and is easy to read and reply to messages.

The process was painless (until i tried to do stuff not in the guide) and easy to follow.

It opens up a new world for the touch and as someone who does not want to comit to a very expensive contract with O2 it gives me everything on the touch apart from phone calls.
  6. andyandy6464

andyandy6464 New Member

damn, you're right, it's already registered and everything. Forgot about that whole part.

I'll just bug my sister to buy one (Which she most likely wont) Then hack hers. Hah.
  7. eco21

eco21 New Member

I can understand your concern not wanting to hack the iPod - I felt the same - even thinking that I wouldnt want it hacked, but I have done it, took me far too long, had to restore a dozen times, but now it all works, its amazing, cant complain, loads of new apps on it, and the best thing is that with the number of people that will or have hacked it, more people will create software for it, so the uses will become even better

Go for it, there is loads of people on the forum willing to help, first thing to do would be to restore your ipod, make you feel comfortable knwoing that in a few button presses, clicks, it will be back to factory reset
  8. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

I'll tell you what. when I bought my iPod, I thought it was the raddest thing ever. Then I jailbroke it, filled in the missing apps, added third party apps, and let me tell you. This thing in unbelievably more cool.

Now, I don't know how I managed to get by with an unjailbroken iPod.

But that's just my opinion.
  9. itouchedatouch

itouchedatouch New Member

I think that when I get my Itouch on monday i'll play with it first then hack it, so when a new update comes out, ill just restore it and there will be no history of other apps. =] andyandy i like ur idea of putting 8gb back in box.
  10. andyandy6464

andyandy6464 New Member

I'm still torn...I'm just scared that i'll screw up and i won't be able to restore (somehow)

The big thing that will probably make me want to jailbreak it:

Does the maps app really work offline? (i saw someone post on here that it did - but that doesn't make any sense...) If not, i see no point, as i can access googlemaps thru safari anyway.