I'm new and would like some help on jailbreaking my ipod touch please

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by zero_0, Oct 10, 2009.

1. zero_0

zero_0 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hey, I'm new here. I signed up for an account in hopes of finding answers to my questions about jailbreaking...

Anyway, I have an ipod touch 2nd generation, version 2.2.1, and I have itunes 9.0.1.8 (the latest one)
    I am planning on jailbreaking it, however I am completely new to all of this, so I was hoping someone could kindly help me along the process....

I looked around and decided to use this tutorial that was listed in one of the sticky threads:

http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155816

However, I had some questions pertaining to the tutorial as well as the jargon used in it.

1) Is the tutorial which I mentioned above reliable? I mean, does it work? Has it been proven?

2) It mentions restoring my itouch to its "factory" state. Am I safe to assume this means going to Settings - General - Reset ? That means I would be deleting everything off my itouch, right? This means ALL music, vids, apps, etc?

3) What is C++ redistributable and LIBusb? Where can I attain these programs?

Thanks for answering! I'll probably end up asking more when I actually get started.

edit: Step 2 of the turtorial says I should download the ipod touch 2.2.1 firmware, but my ipod touch is already in 2.2.1 version...should I still download this?
  2. Tavis_C

Tavis_C Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Don't use that, just use redsn0w. Its about as automated as you can get, and you won't need lilusb. I don't have the link right off hand, but if you search on any ******* site, you'll find it. Redsn0w is the ONLY way to go if you want to JB your 2.2 firmware (IMHO.)
    Also, you will lose all your info, all songs, videos, etc, but you back up your ipod, and resync after you JB, you'll be all set.