I'm new and big issue

Discussion in 'Introduce yourself' started by acevmp, Aug 12, 2009.

1. acevmp

acevmp New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hey guys! What's up, first off this is an awesome site that answers a lot of questions so I'm hoping I can find help with mine.

I have a Gen2 iPod Touch and alas, a series of unfortunate events led it to being bathed at the bottom of a puddle. I quickly dried it in rice for a few days and it was working fine. That is until one of my apps updated and then the screen went non responsive and the back light vanished. It still syncs in itunes, and the power button, home button, and volume buttons work (as far as you can get them to work with a non-responsive touch screen. I'm going to buy and replace the digitizer and maybe that will help with the non responsive touch but I don't know what that would do for the backlight. Interestingly, every so often, the back light will work again for a fraction of a second after the device has been sitting (charging or otherwise) for a few hours so it's not completely gone. The first post I saw was from a guy who had a burnt resistor but when I took mine apart none of the electronics were in bad shape. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome. I bought another one yesterday but it would be nice if I could get this one up and running as well. It sucks because I paid for the update on the broken one and need to pay again for the new one. I Look forward to hearing back.. Thanks all!

-AceVMP
  2. JIMIneitor

JIMIneitor Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    You should take it to the apple store, so they can replace your display
  3. acevmp

acevmp New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I should have mentioned above that I tried the 6 second reset many times as well as the restore via iTunes. I also tried letting the battery die completely and letting it charge completely and nothing has resolved the issue yet.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    It's water damage so none of it is covered by apple-care.
  4. iptman

iptman Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    First off, return the one you just bought!! They are coming out with a new generation in a month

and its like 70 to replace the screen, but you can buy a kit off ebay
  5. acevmp

acevmp New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Apple charges $70 to replace the screen? Will they do it onsite? As for the new gen. I'm not too worried about that one just yet, if it comes out and I like it I'll try to put in some OT at work and get it and donate the current one to my lil bro or sis. Thanks for the quick responses by the way!
  6. iptman

iptman Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
  7. JIMIneitor

JIMIneitor Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    i didnt say it would be free
  8. acevmp

acevmp New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    yeah, that's what I thought. I found a digitizer online for about 70 and I can take it apart and replace that, even with no back light if I can get it to function again it's a step in the right direction. Maybe someone will be able to shed insight on the dark screen.