I'm Going to make a camera, or fail trying...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mateo, Jan 4, 2009.

1. mateo

mateo Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    i know i know this should be in the accessories section, but i think it deserves more...

My plan is to make a camera extention for you ipod touch that connects into the dock connector and headphone jack of the ipod touch, has a camera and lighting mechanism for flash in the middle, and then a female headphone jack, and possibly a female dock connector on the bottom of it.

I will also need to write a program that will be able to render what the camera sees onto your ipod's screen and give you the ability to send commands for the camera to take a picture and possibly video. It will also have to be able to save the pictures to a local directory, which you can then ftp, or email off of your ipod onto a computer.

I have absolutely no idea what i'm doing, but I'm pretty dam smart and will devote a ton of my free time to this project.

If the project is a success, then i will distribute the program through installer and cydia, and will have to make versions compatible with as many firmwares as i can. I will then start manufacturing these, handmade and sell them on ebay for idk yet but atleast around $50, I will also buy 2.0megapixel cameras, and make the extentions using that, and sell them for a bit more like $70 or something.

Since I am just starting out and this is a very unstable idea on many levels, I will start using only scrap parts, and maybe a couple things bought on ebay if I feel like this is possible. I feel that it will be ridiculously easy to come across 1.3 mp cameras, due to the amount of damaged, unwanted ect camera phones out there. In fact thats what I'm starting this project out with, 2 washed lg vx1000's (yea i leave sh*t in my pocket to much), the phones are actually in perfect working order as far as I can tell, and the cameras work fine.
    any advice, help, feedback, comments,or paypal donations would be much appreciated (mattj7theriot@gmail.com)
    and feel free to contact me outside these forums (im not on here very often)
    at mattatblahdotcom on aim or mattj7theriot@gmail.com on msn

Edit:

Okay, so far i have dissasemble (somewhat messily) my lgvx8100 and now have the camera in hand, as a was dissasembling it, i realized i now had a mic, speakers, volume control buttons, a nice sized (2 inch i think) lcd screen, and a mini sd card port, but one thing at a time, im in over my head as it is.

now I have to figure out what kind of circit boarding I will need, and I'm off to study the pins on the ipod male cable.

I have also contacted touchmods, because they have basically done what i am trying to do, only with a mic and recording\sip-voip software, and not a camera and picture taking\interact with camera software lol
  2. shortperson1026

shortperson1026 Active Member

If you have NO idea how to go about doing this... you need some help.
  3. mateo

mateo Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    yea i know, but i do have an infinite pool of information at my disposal (internet)
    i have the hardware, and the money to buy some pieces of hardware, i just need information, so im just going to have to research my ass off...
  4. dancool999

dancool999 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Good luck, if you have alot of money, you could look at the iPhone's camera and figure out the hardware/connections from that and then use the same exact software from the iPhone.
  5. simonrichards150

simonrichards150 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    You will need someone who is very good at electronics to help you.
  6. Aestysu

Aestysu Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    IMO pay a corrupt apple programmer/electrician to help you. =P
    but yeh all should be ok except wiring the camera to the adapter and getting the ipod to recognize it. and yeh try get your hands on a iphone and look at how that's coded and all. that should help alot. if not with a iphone TRY it with a phone.
  7. simonrichards150

simonrichards150 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    The thing is, finding out how the iphone camera is connected won't really help, as the dock connector is limited to simple serial in/out. What you would have to do is design and make a circuit to take the data from the camera, store it temporarily, and send it serially to the iPhone/iPod Touch. Then the iPhone/iPod would have to receive the data, and format it in such a way that it is recognised as an image, then it can be displayed/saved. Unfortunately I don't know anything at all about how to write an app for the iPhone/iPod Touch to do this, and I don't know if the SDK has the ability to access the serial port on the device.
  8. Avaj

Avaj New Member

9. loaf-

loaf- New Member

Theres a few videos about this on the YouTube too. They might be of some assistance in your quest.
  10. mateo

mateo Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    so far all i have found are fake ones and people who have come up with less than myself
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    thats probably the most help ive gotten so far, thanks