I'm getting a iPod touch (16GB) soon, I've got a few questions about Jailbreaking

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.4 Jailbreak' started by UHYVE, Mar 18, 2008.

1. UHYVE

UHYVE New Member

I'm getting a 16GB iPod Touch in a couple of days and I've been looking at tutorials for jailbreaking. I just want to make that I'm doing everything in the right order really.

1. I want to use 1.1.4, so when I get the touch, if I'm not already on 1.1.4, I should update.

2. I should then disconnect and hold Home and Power buttons until a message saying "connect to iTunes" pops up. And then I should restore to 1.1.4?

3. I should choose "configure as new iPod" and then give it a name.

4. Close iTunes.

5. Run ZiPhone and since I haven't jailbroken it before, I don't think I need to do the NVRAM fix thingy do I? So I can just click "Jailbreak iPod".

6. I should wait until the iPod boots up, run "installer" and then accept all updates.

7. Then I need to install BSD subsystem, then OpenSSH.

8. I hear I then need to install ipodtouchmasters source, so I can install the 1.1.4 apps and a "Summerboard" fix, but I don't know what a source is, let alone how to install one....

You know, if someone could fill in the blanks for me, this could be a perfect guide for a new iPod Touch owner, since it answers all of my questions completely. I've found most of the guides seem to assume alot of the user... but maybe that's just me being alittle bit n00bish

Please Register or Log in to view images

Also, once I've done all this, I can then sync the iPod with my iTunes library, right?
  2. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    You can skip all the stuff until the JB portion. If it's a new iPod you don't need to restore. It should be on 1.1.4 anyway and if not you can just update it and run ZiPhone 2.6b.
  3. ZombieKiller

ZombieKiller Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Seems all good.

But im pretty sure your iPod will come with the Apps, and 1.1.4. Just jailbreak right off the bat.
  4. x6blues

x6blues New Member

well,

1) any ipod you get should come with 1.1.4, if not just do a regular restore with itunes
    (other methods are only if you get an error while doing so)

2) no need to restore again, that is only if u have already jailbroken the ipod which you havn't done yet

3) Run ziphone, if you get the Spamming At then you will see it on the touch, usually doesn't happen but it may so then run the fix..

4) You are right with updating installer

5) look at this thread here, then you should be set, http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49172&highlight=x6blues
    it is a brief guide on what to install and all that, gl

thx for reading up on all this. welcome to the forums, any more problems feel free to pm me

5. chefsta

chefsta Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    1. if you are buying this new (sealed) then it should already be at 1.1.4 so there should be no need for steps 1 and 2

2 ipod touch masters repo is ipodtouchmaster.com/files/repo.xml and to add it open explorer and click sources (bottom right) then edit (top right) then add (top left) then type it in exactly as you see it (leave .xml in lower case by clicking the suggestion that your iPod will give you)(it will give you a suggestion of .XML but click the suggestion and it will leave it the same) then press done, it will refresh sources then click install (bottom) then install what you need.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: dammit, beaten to it

and welcome to the forums
  6. UHYVE

UHYVE New Member

Wow, that was fast. Thanks guys, I'm used to people being flamed off forums when they ask questions like these. Nice place.
  7. elrey23

elrey23 New Member

You didn't get flamed because you actually did a little research and tried to find out on your own what to do. It's much better than just starting a thread and going "I don't know what to do can someone lead me by the hand"