I'm feeling experimental

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by am2pm1, Aug 2, 2009.

1. am2pm1

am2pm1 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Today i decided to ssh into my ipod touch 2g an look through all the files trying to find a way to permently delete sources from cydia's source list. As most of us know if you have a bad repo u go to cydias source list and remove the problemed source but that is a temparary solution. Anyway as i was studying the files and folders i began to see that there are tons of iphone stuff that the ipod touch 2g doesn't even need i my opinon. would it be safe to delete all iphone related stuff. i mean isn;t the ipsw3.0 of the ipod touch just a downgraded version of the iphones ipsw. if so why do we need all that extra stuff

thx in advance for anyone who decides to embark on this journey with me an helps me out in anyway....
  2. Cstsxyfry212

Cstsxyfry212 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    It depends what you're going to erase. If it's an empty folder I'd say it's safe to delete, as often, the iPod touch recreates the erased folder. The same may go for certain files. You're best bet would be to leave everything alone. None of the unneeded files take up a significant amount of space.
  3. 1337BUHMILLION

1337BUHMILLION New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    you may not need it, but sometimes the kernel\ipod engine\complex apple junk that they put into ipods\ sometimes calls some of the resources kept in the iphone files and folders. also, if any process decides to checksum some system files and make sure everything is orderly, it would crash.

but i get your point. I. E. WTF do we have a voicemail folder in /Library?
  4. DarkWrath

DarkWrath Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    concerning the voicemail folder and others, apple never bothered to move iphone components out of the ipod touch firmware completely so you are left with parts of the iPhone firmware littered all over, you can find more if you put your mind to it