I'm crazy. Could the iPad ever run Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MikeonTV, Feb 12, 2010.

1. MikeonTV

MikeonTV New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    I know that the iPad runs iPhoneOS but with the (somewhat) beefier processor and assuming they give it a decent bit of RAM (like 512+) why couldn't someone port Snow Leopard to run on it?
  2. Zc456

Zc456 Member

Snow Leopard requires an Intel Processor, 1GB of RAM, and 5GB disk space. The iPad uses a "custom-designed, high-performance, low-power system-on-a-chip." So, no, it technically isn't possible with Snow Leopard. Your better off running Puma or Jaguar on it, truthfully.
  3. MikeonTV

MikeonTV New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    That doesn't sounds like it's impossible. Someone will figure out a way. I have faith!
  4. dleepenn

dleepenn New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Sony has a very small netbook running Windows 7. Battery life is 1 hour!!!! If you add a battery to give useful battery life, the weight goes from 1.6 lbs to 3 lbs!!! Running a multi-tasking OS on the iPad would KILL battery life plus create other problems. I think Apple made the exact correct choice on this one. KISS, Keep It Simple Stupid!!! Apple did.
  5. zDSpider

zDSpider Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    The iPhone OS isn't perfect either. Safari, Mail and other crap still drain RAM when you exit apps. There are also a bunch of daemons that slow down the boot process, daemons you don't really need at boot. There's a thread about that at iPod touch Fans. By taking them off the boot list it goes from a minute-something boot to like 20-30 seconds.

Snow Leopard takes up 5+ GB space because it has to deal with a multiple hardware configurations (limited, of course, unlike a PC that is...). They could've made a Snow Leopard Mobile Edition or something. Something that didn't include drivers for various graphic cards, peripherals and such. A slimmer version of Snow Leopard if you will.

That was a major disappointment for me when the iPad was first announced. If they wanted to keep compatibility with the 100k+ apps from the App Store they could've just included the SDK emulator or something.
  6. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Or they could just keep the iPhone OS, something they know works very well that many, many, many people are familiar with.
  7. MikeonTV

MikeonTV New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    I'll just use multifl0w. That is if I even end up getting an ipad.
  8. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Why not use ProSwitcher...? It's much better.