I'm considering getting the iPod touch need some advice

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by tianshiz, May 16, 2009.

1. tianshiz

tianshiz New Member

I'm considering buying a refurb iPod touch on ebay, I've seen some go as low as $140. I want to use the iPod touch as a replacement for my current cellphone with fring + skype + wifi. Now I know that I won't be able to get signals everywhere, but I figure that if I need to call someone I can wait till I get to a place with free wifi and that I can call people back if they happened to call when my ipod is not online(I'm assuming that there's some function that can tell you what calls you missed).

Something like this can only work well on JB phones so I can have it run in the background. I keep hearing lots of things about the 3.0 OS update for the ipod touch in june that would restore BT and do a bunch of other stuff. I'm planning to use a BT headset with the touch so I won't have to deal with a microphone, but that means I'd have to wait another month and then I might as well wait for the Gen 3 that's most likely to come out in september. Of course, doing so will mean paying an extra $100. So my question is, should I invest in an iPod touch now, wait till the OS update or till the next gen?

If I wait for the OS update, I'll probably still have to pay the $10 for the update since I'll be buying a cheaper ipod on ebay. I guess the problem is how difficult it will be for me to update the OS after I already JB the touch.

Are there any solutions out there to use BT already in the touch without the OS updates?

Thanks for the help, if I commit to this, this will be the first time that I will be using an ipod

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. tianshiz

tianshiz New Member

Sorry to double post, but no one have answered this thread yet. Was I unclear on anything in my questions? Would someone please help?

Thank you
  3. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    It's really tough to say. Using an iPod touch as a cell phone replacement would be difficult because wifi isn't everywhere. Skype out works to call people, but I'm not sure if you get a number for people to call you. Finally just because apps can run in the background does not mean you'll get calls from Skype when the app isn't open. I would rather use a prepaid cheap phone.
  4. cOde0010Joy

cOde0010Joy Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    how about a refurbished iphone instead? if you buy it now and upgrade to 3.0 later, it would require you to format the iphone (i think) (note: this is my speculation only with regard to the firmware 1.x.x to 2.x.x transition) some of the apps in 2.2.1 might not work with the new 3.0
  5. RoYaLx

RoYaLx Member

Device:
    HTC One
    If you get the iPhone, you will get the 3.0 free.
  6. Brewstermax

Brewstermax New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    You're still on 2.0.2. But yes, you get the update free, but iPhone is too expensive for A LOT of people. If AT&T comes through with the rumors of limited data, it'll be in my range.

I'll just state an argument for limited data.

I would use the EDGE that we have in my town for nothing except email. I get an average of 1000 emails a month (maybe), most are non reply notifications. I would possibly use Tweetie for Twitter occasionally, but

. I hardly text, and have no need to. It's very stupid, but I get unlimited family texting anyway. I have NO need for unlimited data, so why would I pay for it? I only need about 250MB/month, and that covers me. If I use more, I'll pay for more month after month. I can be responsible with my bandwidth. It makes no sense for me to have unlimited. I don't watch YouTube. Heck I hardly browse Safari on my iPod now. It is a productivity tool, and I use it as such.

---------

Oh, and first gen iPhone users won't get OS 4.0 free next year. 3G users won't get 5.0 free year after that, and so on. Apple can't stop providing updates until every single new buyer has had it for at least 2 years.

So, if you could the stupid user who bought an iPhone 2G on July 10th, that's what you get.
  7. tianshiz

tianshiz New Member

thanks for the replies guys! I'm not wealthy enough to pay for the expensive monthly fee for ATT so iPhone's not an option until they provide cheaper limited data fees.

With the ipod touch I was thinking of running fring in the background, which I believe works for incoming calls as well. After reading around about fring, it doesn't seem like theres many issues with it working in the background.
    As for wifi, yea it's not everywhere at all. But at the college i'm going to next year wifi is basically everywhere. I figured that I can be inconvenienced a bit for now and be fine in the fall.

I'm using prepaid right now and it's not that great. My other alternative is just to get a normal cellphone service, but that would put me in contract and I most likely won't get my hand on the ipod touch for a while.
  8. Zink

Zink Member

Device:
    iPad
    Well, the iPod Touch is not a great cellphone. Just keep your current one and buy an iPod Touch too.
  9. bigcj55

bigcj55 Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Here's what I did before I just got a contract. get an iPhone. Unlock it. Go buy a cheap prepaid phone and go through the activation process, but when it's time to input bill info just stop. The phone is semi-activated. I had unlimited data!!! You have access to the AT&T network free! Then you can get Skype and textfree unlimited and rejoice!
  10. tianshiz

tianshiz New Member

bigcj,

can you clarify on that? I know that theres a fee to end the contract early, did you have to pay that?