I'm Confused. Help?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by amandureja, Jul 10, 2010.

1. amandureja

amandureja New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    ok, so basically my ipod touch has to be replaced as for a very loose home button. i can live with it for now, but really need it replaced as it annoys me alot. kk first of all, i bought mine from costco, so should i get it replaced from costco or apple? next, will it already have iOS4 presinstalled on it? because it is a third generation (so no SHSH blobs with replacement) and no jailbreak

Please Register or Log in to view images

i rely heavily on a jailbreak, so i have one important question:

since i am on iTunes 9.1.1, will it activate with 3.1.3 or 4.0? cause only 9.2 can use iOS4. like when you first get it, the ipod shows the connect to itunes screen to activate it. so yea, will it activate to 3.1.3 or 4.0?

kk and also if i get it replaced from apple i heard that they just take a new ipod out of the box and give you the device. unboxing is a BIG thing for me (Lol) no matter weather its the first or replacement, so if i get it replaced from costco will they give me it in the actual box?

kk so really i just need the answer to the second question really badly. help will be appreciated.
  2. Naveen121

Naveen121 Well-Known Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    1. First of all, when you connect your new iPod when you get it, it will most likely be preinstalled with the 3.1.3 firmware. I read somewhere that Apple is making sure that this happens for some weird reason, not completely sure. So when you receive it, the first thing I would recomend you doing is backing up your SHSH blobs. You can look up how to do that either on this website or on Google.

2. Also, Apple has not stopped signing the 3.1.3 firmware for the 1st Gen. iDevices because iOS4 does not support them. But I'm thinking that your iPod is not a 1st Gen. because Apple is going to replace it which means that you still have warranty on it. If that is the case, then when you are restoring your iPod, you will get an iTunes error because it is going to try to put you on iOS4, but iTunes 9.1.1 is not compatible with it. So you are going to have to update to iTunes 9.2 IF you are going to restore to iOS4, given that you don't have your SHSH blobs saved or you want to go to iOS4. This doesn't really mean much to you, because you aren't going to have to restore your device when you get it because it will be preinstalled with the 3.1.3 firmware.

3. Since Apple is giving you a whole new iPod, it most likely is a genuine 3rd Gen., meaning probably not an MC model. So you will be able to use the new version of Redsn0w to jailbreak on iOS4, if you wish to. Maybe. Just a thought.

4. I would suggest going to Apple first and see what they can do for you. If they say that they are NOT going to give you a replacement, then I would suggest going to Costco. Costco is usually pretty lenient, but I would suggest also having the original box of your iPod with you just in case. If needed, you might want to return it to Costco (they may just give you some store credit) and buy a new one there.

5. For your boxing problem: If you get your replacement iPod from Apple, then you could (nicely) request the Apple employee to give it to you in a box. Just tell him that you would like to open it yourself. Simple. And if you get it from Costco, it will definitely be in a box.

Hope this helps!

3. amandureja

amandureja New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    WOW! That was an amazing and very serious, in-depth reply. You even took my unboxing problem seriously and acted as if I wasn't some retard LOL! Okay, so thank you so much for your answer, but I have a couple questions still.

1. Really? I thought that any new firmware comes preinstalled. Can you link me to a source?

2. It is a third generation iPod. And btw...Costco extends the warranty to 6 years (well atleast in Canada they do)

3. Genuine third generation have the new bootrom, meaning MC model, so you are wrong about this one.

4. Should I restore it to 4.0 or 3.1.2? Restoring to 4.0 will be better correct? Because since they have stopped signing 3.1.2, they will know that I was jailbroken and saved my SHSH.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Oh and it is a 32GB model, so i will need SHSH to downgrade and since it is new then no SHSH

4. Naveen121

Naveen121 Well-Known Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    1. I don't really have a specific source that I can link you up with. Like I said, I just remember reading that somewhere. But if it helps, one of my friends' little brother got a new iPod Touch a couple of days ago, and it was preinstalled with the 3.1.3 firmware.

2. WTF!! Really!?!? I wish Costco did that for us here in the US.

3. Okay, maybe you're right. I guess I made a mistake. My bad!

4. You should restore your iPod to iOS4. Don't restore to the 3.1.2 firmware even if you have the SHSH blobs for it. Once you are done with the restore, you should personalize it a little bit to make it more convincing that you didn't jailbreak. Now, this doesn't mean that you're gonna be home free. There is still a big chance that Apple could run some tests on your iPod and figure out that you messed with it. If anything happens, just act dumb.

And by personalize, I mean go into the settings application and change some of the settings so that they are not set to the default. Also, make sure that you are logged out of your mail account on your iPod, just to be safe. You should also download a couple of apps here and there. A couple full versions and some lite versions too. Don't forget that with Apple, if you bought an app on your account that is paid, then you don't have to pay for it a second time when you download it. Just make sure that it's the same account. So don't worry about wasting money. Oh, I almost forgot. Make sure you restore your iPod to iOS4 while in DFU mode. If you don't know how to do that, then I would suggest looking up a tutorial on YouTube. And you are going to have to update your iTunes to version 9.2 in order to restore to iOS4. Or else, it will give you an error.

Good luck!