I'm an Ipod touch newbie asking Q's about Jailbreak

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Jayemz, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Jayemz

Jayemz New Member

Hi,

First of all i'm just gonna say i was lazy and didn't search for topics mainly due to the fact i didn't know what to search for, and i wasn't up for making mass searches

Please Register or Log in to view images

I'm planning on getting an ipod touch 32gb - 3rd gen (since it supposidly has a better cpu?), and i'd like to get it jail broken as a bunch of folks at work have it done. I'm planning on using it mainly for skype and ventrillo (i'm sure i saw an app for that somewhere).

I read up that the 3rd gen ones become 'tethered' devices, i understand that means i need to re-jailbreak it every time i turn if off, for whatever reason i need to. I'm ok with that, but how long does it take to re-do if i have to turn it off?

Once the device is jail broken and 'tethered' will it permenantly remain like this? or can you remove the jailbreak and it will work completely fine after? (incase i ever want to sell it on)

Is it possible that my touch could end up getting bricked during a jailbreak process or not? I don't want to fork out money and mess it up from the word go

Please Register or Log in to view images

Is there any "un-jailbreakable" versions/models of the Ipod Touch out there currently? (or firmware versions?) that i should stay clear of?

Lastly, how should i go about jail-breaking it once i get it? (although i suppose i can read about here for that with ease) and what are the DO's and DONT's with jailbreaking.

Thanks!
  2. daconcerror

daconcerror Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Ok so to re-jailbreak to turn it back on takes about the same time as a normal boot. if you buy a 3rd gen now I don't think you will be ableto jailbreak anyway becuase it will be on 3.1.3
  3. Jayemz

Jayemz New Member

Is there no method to downgrade the firmware?
  4. Tkf1

Tkf1 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    There is but you need to have backup SHSH files from 3.1.2 which you can't do. Si just sit tight and wait for a untethered 3.1.3 jailbreak.
  5. daconcerror

daconcerror Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    You shouldn't have to wait too long and I would buy the iPod now and use it as an iPod for a bit before you jailbreak, it save time when you need help later
  6. Tkf1

Tkf1 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    I waited at least a month before I jailbroke. I researched it while I was waiting.
  7. Jayemz

Jayemz New Member

Well i'm considering getting it off eBay, so i'll take a look to see what firmware version it is, it should state on the box it's default version number, right?
  8. daconcerror

daconcerror Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    You'll probably have to ask the seller to state the firmware
  9. shashanknegi

shashanknegi Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    the new jailbreak is said to be released after the new ipad 3G is released ( end of this month ). i suggest that you buy a new ipod from maybe a retail store like walmart or best buy or certain stores like that as they might not have the pre-installed 3.1.3

when you finally do jailbreak, then make sure you download All Sources ( you have to type in Sources in the search bar )
    and SteffWiz, these will give you everything available on Cydia.

Then save you shsh's heres a way how.

http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=276978&highlight=Ecids

Oh and if cydia is slow its perfectly alright. Cydia is infamous for being extremly slow, even when typing in the search function.

if you want to know more stuff that you should get on cydia then IM my account and ill reply