I'm an iPod idiot with many questions and little time

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by azstar, Jun 9, 2009.

1. azstar

azstar New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hi, I am considering getting an iPod touch and have a bunch of questions. Yes, I have done some searching/looking around but would love some input and advice from you addicts here.

Are there any rumors of new/upcoming models that should make me want to wait a few months before making this purchase?

16GB vs 32GB...and difference in battery performance? Also I know what apple's site says the battery should last, but how long realistically does the battery last for heavy usage? Also do the batteries hold up well, or should I expect to need to send it in for replacement before the warranty is up?

How do I know I am buying the latest/newest model? Costco is cheaper, is it because they are older models or refurbs??

Do many of the apps require data connectivity in order to work? I have wifi when at home, but if I'm out and about, are many of the apps going to be worthless?

What are the accessories that you would recommend as must haves to start off with?

Like the title says, I need to make my decision fairly soon. I know tons about BlackBerry but very little about iPods. But the touch screen and apple's "there's an app for that" campaign has me really interested....

Any advice, warnings, helpful links you all could send my way will be appreciated. Hopefully you all will be nice to a new iPod idiot

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. Mircix

Mircix Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    yes there are rumors. Size shouldn't have anything to do with battery. Loads of good apps need internet however single player games like need for speed, super monkey ball don't.
    Accesories? Always a case. My ipod touch falled lots of times and my griffin iclear hard case saved it everytime. You should wait a bit let's see if in the WWDC will announce a new ipod.
  3. azstar

azstar New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    OK, thanks for that...anyone else? How about my other questions?? Over 50 views but just one reply....I'm used to blackberry forums where everyone tries to convince you and everyone has an opinion lol...
  4. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Telling the two iPods apart is easy.
    Just check and see if there are volume rockers on the side. If there are, then you're looking at a 2nd Gen.

The Battery Life on the 2G is better than the 1G, but the size doesn't affect battery life at all.
  5. SooperG

SooperG New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Plus, apps like Google Maps don't work w/o WiFi. If you're trying to get directions while you're "out and about," it won't work.
  6. franky_402

franky_402 New Member

i think what he really is trying to get at in this sentence is whether he should get a 16gb or 32gb and how is the batt life, not really depending on the size,

if you dont hava alot of movies your going to be watching then i think the 16gb should be just fine, i have an 8gb and not even half full with one movie 500 songs and 4 pages of apps. Also the apps are very very small so you wont fill it up with apps alone, mostly videos and can be alot with songs just depends.
  7. melterx12

melterx12 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    all the responses are in BOLD
  8. azstar

azstar New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yeah thanks, I remember what I wrote

.....and the costco comparison

Thanks for all the replies. Keep 'em coming

Rumors of Sept, that would be here before know it, yet still seems so far away...and this would be for my birthday which is next week.
  9. touch_iPod

touch_iPod Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    Mate, are u using ur iPod for leisure or work? Anyway, here are some good apps that u can consider getting (both freebies and shareware):

Games
    - Asphalt 5 (coming soon)
    - Bejeweled 2
    - UNO
    - Scrabble
    - Crash Nitro Karts
    - Fastlane Street Racing
    - Labyrinth
    - Word Warp
    - TicTacToe

Other apps
    - Todo (task manager)
    - iXpenseIt
    - Remote
    - Shopper
    - Speaking English Dictionary
    - The Converter
    - Currencies
    - iWoopie (download videos from Internet to iPod)
    - Night Stand
    - Chinese English Dictionary
    - 4500 Facts
    - MPG
    - Flashlight
    - Packing
    -
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Oh ya, before I forget, I agree with Melterx12 in that 16GB is more than enough storage space... I have around 650 songs as well as nearly a thousand photos and loads of appointments stored in Calendar (plus all the apps above, except Asphalt) and there is still 9.95GB of available storage space out of the total available of 14GB... Of course the 16GB model is also cheaper than it's bigger sibling!
  10. azstar

azstar New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I would be using this mostly for the fun stuff. I have my blackberry for the business stuff but would like the large screen of the ipod touch for movies, games etc. I would be putting a couple thousand songs on it, plus movies and tons of games and apps.

Also, to the one who said the battery should last 3-4 years...do you have a link to info that supports this claim. I am skeptical since even the 1st iPod touch has only been around for less than 2 years....how can one make a claim that a battery should last 3-4??