I'm about to kill my iPod.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by iEfforts, Mar 2, 2010.

1. iEfforts

iEfforts New Member

This issue has been happening for two weeks now. I've restored twice, and jailbreaking again is a PAIN because cydia is slow. Restoring + Re-downloading/Updating iTunes does not work!

After being on 3.1.2 for a couple of days, my iPod stopped listening to iTunes. Basically, it doesn't listen to smart playlists AT ALL! My Recently Added playlist has songs that are recently added, but are not the ones that are supposed to be as recent as the playlist allows. Also, my Top 20/100 play count playlist is not right at all. It has songs with a super low play count on it.

Do note that I have the correct settings on both these playlists, and prior to getting 3.1.2, I'm 100% I never changed them.

Next problem has to do with album covers. They are all right in iTunes, but on my iPod a bunch of them are mismatched and go with other album covers, or the album cover looks like one of those genius album covers(which pisses me off even more since I hate genius).

Like I said before, everything is correct in iTunes, but when it all moves to the iPod, it gets all f***ed up. Anyone know any possible solutions. It has happened to someone before, but like one person in all the internet besides me.

Also I've noticed that unlike in the past it takes longer to Update the library, and when I go back to check my iPod it still says Updating Library.
  2. Gamma

Gamma Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    After the iPod has completed restoring, do you "restore from backup" or "set up as new iPod?"
  3. SoBe

SoBe Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    set as new ipod and errors may be gone.
  4. Jodene =o)

Jodene =o) Member

Device:
    iPad 4
    Unfortunately, you aren't going batty or have a dicky ipod......They were just some of the problems that 3.1.1 and then 3.1.2 introduced to us - Smart playlists got ROYALLY mucked up in those updates. They say they fixed the problems in 3.1.3, but unfortunately, they DIDN'T... well, not properly.... but yes... if you want to fix it somewhat (it seemed to fix the live updating, but NOT the order songs are in...) then you are going to have to keep updating to 3.1.3... 3.1.2 is considered an old update now).

Otherwise, if you are staying on 3.1.2 for jailbreaking reasons.. then sorry, it's just going to be something you will have to live with for now.... welcome to the club... we've been here a while! The problems are known to Apple and.... yeah.. we ALL have the problem, not just you.... it's super annoying

Please Register or Log in to view images

In saying that....there ARE some workarounds.. search for playlists mucked up/recent playlists, etc keywords in google and on the apple site to see other threads and fixes dating back months. (One of the fixes seems to be to add to your Smart playlist tags Media Kind = Music).

As for the artwork thing, I've personally had that problem too... it seems to be a cache thing.. the ipod can't deal with A LOT of TV Shows/Movies along with the normal music and apps... I personally seemed to have fixed the problem of that happening by restoring and not loading lots of TV Shows on at a time. I couldn't find any other site with a working fix for that, that CONSISTENTLY worked... but I have found that if I keep my TV Shows/Movies down to about 7-8 each and sync on and off as watched instead of keeping 20/30 of each....... then I no longer have that problem. So yeah, up to you if that's something you can live with

Also.. the updating library thing is also a thing that came with that update (aren't we lucky!).... sure it's annoying but realistically, its NOT that long a wait.. only up to 30 seconds or so.. it's just doing what it's saying... updating your library and playlists and genuis mixes etc live and ON your ipod at the time. It's a device... it's not totally magic... even if Apple thinks it is

5. iEfforts

iEfforts New Member

Thanks for the reply guys.

I googled for a while and found something that fixed it for now

What I did was as someone suggested above. But before I restored to a completely new iPod, I turned off Genius. Jailbreaking went smoothly and all my messed up albums are fixed.

Before that, I also saw the playlist fix as mentioned above. What I did was changed Playlist is and Media Kind is to Music. It sounds redundant because even with the playlist not listening to iTunes, the playlist was filled with music anyway.

So now I'm just praying it stays fixed. It's annoying since I was desperate and all my contacts + notes are gone :\
  6. SoBe

SoBe Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    no problem.