I'm about to buy my first iPod touch. Help!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by baseball1019, Jan 9, 2009.

1. baseball1019

baseball1019 New Member

Hi. I'm new to the forum. Over the past week or so I've become obsessed with the iPod touch. I thought for the longest time that it was just an expensive fancy-looking iPod so I never paid attention to it. Then a friend showed me some of the cool stuff you can do with the iPhone. I realized most of this cool stuff is available with the Touch. So here's my question... Should I go with a refurb 1g touch that's said to have a "better display" and can be "jailbroken" or spend an extra $100 for the 2g? I want a 32 gb model. I don't care about the mic or the speaker. I don't intend to use any of the games so in that regard, I don't think the processor speed should make a difference. Is the same software available for the 1g? Are there any pros/cons I have overlooked? I appreciate your help and apologize if there have been similar posts.

-Chris
  2. tehevan

tehevan New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    If you don't value the speaker/ Mic i feel you've already answered your own question. You can update the firmware to the latest version on your 1G so all apps that work with 2G will work with 1G.

In your case the only con is that the 2G is slimmer which makes it a little more easier to travel with but in my opinon the Ipod touch 1g was already pretty slim

If I were you i'd go with the 1G its jailbreak able, cheaper (as it's many accessories are also way cheaper) and it seems it prefect for you.
  3. rrm74001

rrm74001 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I bought my 1G iPod Touch soon after it came out. Now that the 2G iPod Touch is available, I have had no desire to "upgrade". Unless you really want to listen to your music without headphones using the internal speaker, you will be happy with either one. If I were deciding which one to buy, I would go strictly by the price difference.

You would be very happy with the 1G iPod Touch. If you go on eBay, you can get a brand new one (sealed and everything) for about $350 with free shipping. A 2G iPod Touch from the Apple store goes for $400 with free shipping, so you would save yourself a little money there.

As far as jailbreaking is concerned, I am sure that the 2G iPod Touch will eventually be jailbreaked. In the near future? Probably not. But eventually.
  4. NickPod

NickPod Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I agree with the others. You have basically answered your own question; there is not much, if anything, that you have overlooked. The 1G itself is cheaper, and so are many cases and other accessories for it. I've seen a few sites trying to liquidate their 1G cases.

Based on what you're wanting (well, lack thereof) I think the 1G is fine for you.

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. baseball1019

baseball1019 New Member

Thanks, guys. I feel a little more comfortable about taking the plunge.
  6. kee

kee New Member

i would say juat get the 1g. I didn't have an option of a 2g when i got mine but i wanted it for the jailbreak. Either of the ipod touches is worth every penny.