I'm a complete noob and need to know some things...

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by THE GAME, Mar 24, 2010.

1. THE GAME

THE GAME New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Alright so I'm getting a 3rd Generation 32GB iPod Touch in a couple days and I want to jailbreak for obvious reasons.

Please Register or Log in to view images

First of all, what firmware is recommended? Is it possible to downgrade? What are the consequences to using new firmwares, if any?

That's pretty much it besides the obvious "getting started" kind of tips that you might have. Yes I read the stickies. Thanks!
  2. steve19137

steve19137 New Member

well, ive heard that you can downgrade on certain hardware, so maybe someone else can clear that up?

the new firmware (3.1.3) blocked the jailbreak on all devices. there are your consequences.
  3. sageDieu

sageDieu Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    If you already have 3.1.3 then you can't jailbreak. If not then use 3.1.2.

dammit, I just lost... /OT
  4. Nickanoff

Nickanoff New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Check your firmware: look under your device in iTunes.

If you're on 3.1.2 - Use Blackra1n (google it for Mac OSX or Windows) to jailbreak. Connect device, run program, click button it will boot into restore mode (connect to iTunes) click button again, you're done. This jailbreak is what you call tethered, meaning if you switch off or reboot your iPod touch - it will boot into "Connect to iTunes" (Recovery) mode. You will need to run Blackra1n again in order for it to boot up (so keep it handy on your desktop)

If you're on 3.1.3, you're out of luck, since there is no jailbreak currently available for your device. Hang around the community - there is likely to be a solution soon or perhaps for future hardware. Downgrades in firmware are impossible for your particular device at this moment.
  5. SoBe

SoBe Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yeah if you have 3.1.3, you can't downgrade to 3.1.2 anymore. So you will have to wait.
  6. THE GAME

THE GAME New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    • Illegal/piracy-related discussions
    Alright I did it so what are some good apps?

Please Register or Log in to view images

And can I get paid apps for free? Is it possible? Just say yes if you can't give the full details.
  7. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

Yes, you can. The trick is to get someone else to "Gift" an app to your iTunes account, by having them buy it themselves using the 'gift' option so it gets added to your iTunes account instead.
  8. SoBe

SoBe Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yeah you can't get paid app store apps for free yourself with a jailbreak. That's piracy. Not allowed here.
  9. Childofgod

Childofgod New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Hahahahaha!