Illegal or not?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 3.0' started by flashcus, Jul 13, 2009.

1. flashcus

flashcus New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Before I start, please moderators don't give me an infraction or anything, i have bought 3.0, though haven't yet installed it as i'm not ready to backup all my apps just yet! I'm not whining about paying the money or doing anything illegal or encouraging others to.

But, I remember that it is possible to get the paid firmwares free DIRECT from apple's server. I was wondering, is that actually illegal or not?

Some people would say it isn't, because they allow people to get access to it.

But this are the argument for it being illegal.
    - They require you to pay for it - so any means of getting it free is illegal.

If you think of it like a shop. Say a sports shop puts a rack of clothes or a thing full of footballs right outside their shop, to attract people's attention and get them inside, and you take one and walk off, it's still illegal.

That is basically what people are doing when they get it from apple.

I would say it IS illegal, but any other thoughts on the subject?

P.S If you even ask how to get it, you will be banned by a mod so fast you won't even be able to say "jailbreak"
  2. JonnySK

JonnySK Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    It Is Illegal. Anyone else will tell you the same thing.
  3. flashcus

flashcus New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    That's what i was thinking, but the only reason why i posted was that surely apple COULD make it so that no-one could dl it from their own server for FREE?
  4. cOde0010Joy

cOde0010Joy Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    if they gave it to you for free would you return it?
    maybe you would maybe you won't. It's their fault for having a bug like that and they should pay for the consequences. It's business..
  5. flashcus

flashcus New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Whether its their fault or not is a different matter, and it doesn't necessarily mean they should pay the consequences either.

It's still illegal.
  6. Universal Denizen

Universal Denizen Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    What is true though is that companies may lose money sometimes due to bugs etc, but they are savvy enough to more than make up for such accidental losses through regular business strategies...

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Well for some reason they refunded me the €7.99. Is that illegal?
  8. iPodTouchTapp

iPodTouchTapp New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    hmm good question, i think it would be illegal because through appstore it has no choice to get free, it only says the advertisement and then 'update' on the iPod screen on iTunes..But not completely sure.
  9. cOde0010Joy

cOde0010Joy Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    they made the mistake not the end-users who "would have" paid for the download. the people who had the intention of "buying" the firmware clicked the button and were expecting to be charged for that. Unfortunately for apple, itunes didn't. I think the illegal one is downloading from a source aside from itunes for free with the intention of not paying.
  10. Captain*

Captain* Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    It was a c*ck-up on apples end but still taking it is the fault - therefore its illegal. I understand what you are getting at tho, the sports shop example was a good way to describe what you meant..