iFrogz Timbre Earphones w/ Mic

Discussion in 'Audiophiles: Headphones, Earphones, etc.' started by rmc08, Oct 7, 2009.

1. rmc08

rmc08 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    iFrogz was willing to send me a sample of the iFrogz Timbre Earphones w/ Mic for me to review here at iPod Touch Fans, so you (the reader) can learn about how well this product works, and to also see if these earphones are the right ones for you. This is in no way a biased review, nor is it an advertisement in order to get you to buy their product. This review is strictly my opinion!

Please Register or Log in to view images

Sorry for the long delay on the review, but I have been exhaustingly busy! Here's another review by me, rmc08! Enjoy! (All of my reviews are exclusive and will never hit any site except here. Long live iPTF!)

iFrogz Timbre Earphones w/ Mic

iFrogz is a company that makes tons of cases, accessories and earphones. This is a review for the Timbre Earphones w/ Microphone, is it worth the $50?

First I will start with my first impressions. When I first looked at the package, it wasn't the most attractive one I've seen, but it wasn't horrifyingly ugly. Now, it's kept as a simple package with just the view of the earphones in the front "window". It's no fancy hard plastic package, but what really matters is the earphones. When you look at them, you may wonder if they're made of real wood. The answer is yes, they're made of real wood! Enough of impressions, let's open this package up!

Now the box only came with the earphones and earpieces, I was sort of expecting manuals or maybe some information on the earphones. Sadly there was nothing there! It doesn't matter that much, but it's always good to have a manual. Well, that's it for the box, onto the build quality.

When I first took the earphones out of the plastic, I immediately noticed the quality of the wire of the earphones. It's made of a pretty nice rubber material that doesn't bend as easily as other earphones would, since others have wires that are more taut. They could have tried to improve the wire gauge, though. The microphone button is also made of the same rubber, but it is good because it is light and will not pull the right earphone out of your ear. Lastly, the earpieces are made of very nice quality wood and they're very light. There is a special finish on the wood to protect it from anything that may happen to it, and that means that there should be no corrosion. Enough of build, how about comfort?

These earphones probably have the most snug fit I have ever had on all of the earphones I've ever used. It really depends on your earsize, but I can tell you that these are a great fit in my ears. They do not seem to be noticeable when I'm listening to music, since there is nothing discomforting about the earphones. The ear pieces fit nicely so it doesn't hurt to have them in, and the ear piece's rubber is nice and soft. Like mentioned above, the rubber on the wires is nice and light, and the mic is made of the same material so it doesn't weigh down the earphones.

Lastly, here comes the best part: the sound. I popped in these earphones, and put on some alternative rock. The crash cymbals really stood out, and the bass wasn't overpowering, but just the right amount to make the music sound balanced. The wood acts as a natural noise insulator, which is why there are no holes on the outside of the earphones to let the bass out which would normally make it sound all muffly. Even songs with tons of bass sound pretty good with these earphones (such as songs in the hardstyle genre). Obviously there would not be as much bass as the Radius Atomic Bass earphones, but they still have a substantial amount of bass for your average listener. These do stand out in front of Apple earbuds, since the sound is crisper and the music really sounds different than it would with most earphones. I have also tried this with trance, and the sound is magnificent. Most other earphones either have too much/too little bass, or drowned out treble. These earphones balance both the treble and bass evenly to produce a very crisp sound!

So, I find these earphones to be a bit above average. The Apple Earbuds ($79) are just as good as the Timbre earphones (which may even be better), which are only a mere $50. The rubber material on the wire is very good, but it could be improved a bit more since it is a pretty thin wire. I really like the wood being a natural insulator, and this provides a unique sound that other earphones do not compare to, and it equally balances bass and treble for "medium level" bass genres (trance, alternative, rock, pop, etc). Lastly, the eartips provided with the earphones are very comfortable, and definitely better than any normal earbud.

Anyway, thanks for reading my review!
  2. thechungster

thechungster Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Good review there. :]
  3. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Agreed. Nice review. I've just invested in a pair of A2DP bluetooth cans so won't be buying anything like this soon but I'm sold on what you've written.
  4. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    These look nice. I would get some, but I'll probably be saving up my money to get some better earphones.

5. EBOBO

EBOBO New Member

What about compared to other IEM's around $50? (other than Apple's)
  6. rmc08

rmc08 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    I didn't have time to compare others

7. NotMyCupOfTea

NotMyCupOfTea Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
  8. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Please just get out if you don't find this interesting. There's no need for you to post at all.
  9. atkins

atkins New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I think it's awesome but I found some others I like off their site.. Looking for a review now.
  10. chekpoint50

chekpoint50 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    is this only for America?
    I Live in Germany is it Available there?
    Please reply or I'll buy it on eBay!
    Tony

)