iFile not free after restore...help!!!

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by SilentWalker, Sep 8, 2009.

1. SilentWalker

SilentWalker Retired Moderator

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yesterday I restored my iPod and started afresh, i.e. did not restore from backup. I noted that before I restored, iFile, which I use very frequently, is no longer freeware. As a result, before I restored, I backed-up the iFile folder from [root]/Applications/iFile.

When I restored and re-jailbroke, I moved the iFile app back to where it belong, but it won't show up on SpringBoard. I resprung and I saw the icon, and when I tapped the icon, iFile launched and then crashed immediately.

I then went to Cydia and installed the English documentation for iFile, hoping it would mend some error caused by just copying the iFile folder from my computer to my iPod rather than installing it through Cydia. It seems as it the installation of the documentation may have installed iFile from Cydia, but now iFile says that its shareware and i have to register/pay to use it beyond the trial period.

I still have the iFile folder from the original free version. Is there anyway I can get rid of the shareware iFile and get my original, free version of iFile to function? Please help
  2. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Its still free, sort of. Just delete the one you sshed in and install it from cydia. It will install and run fine. The price is to remove the donation popup and gives you access to updated versions. You can use the old version as long as you want or at least until future FW updates break it.

I restored saturday and reinstalled it from cydia and it worked. I have not bought it yet because I'm not sure whats in the newer version and the free version does what I need.
  3. SilentWalker

SilentWalker Retired Moderator

Device:
    2G iPod touch
  4. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    No thank the bigboss, if it wasnt for his categories update giving me an endless reboot I would have never found out that handy piece of info. First restore due to JB software in about 2 years.
  5. randomdude1234

randomdude1234 Member

wow...^talk about a streak....me about every 3 or for months.