If your a dev, what's the advantages of upgrading to 3.0?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 3.0' started by bamhm182, May 18, 2009.

?

Should I upgrade?

1. Stay at 2.2.1

11 vote(s)
    30.6%
  2. Upgrade to 3.0

25 vote(s)
    69.4%
  1. bamhm182

bamhm182 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I was wondering what advantages, besides the new features, there are to upgrading to 3.0. Can you export your games to a jailbroken 2.2.1 iPod? I'm asking because I currently have a jailbroken 2.2.1 iPod Touch 2G and I'm trying to decide if it's worth upgrading once I get my dev status. It's currently not possible to have an untethered jailbreak on a 3.0 device, right?

EDIT: I just thought about it, this sounds really close to crossing the NDA line. If it is, I'm very sorry. However, I think it may be fine, since you're allowed to discuss the new device features (copy/paste, push, etc.) so I'm not going to delete the post. To any of the mods, if you see this post as too close to the line, I completely understand, and please let me know, that way I can avoid asking about it further.
  2. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    It's perfectly possible to untether 3.0 on a 2G. You're just not going to be able to until it's released in the summer.

Some people say that 3.0 drains your battery faster, and some say that their battery life has improved.
  3. bamhm182

bamhm182 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Well, the main programs I use that are jailbroken are SkylerEC's PocketTouch, respring (When you put your apps on the "correct" way, do you still need to reboot your device?), and winterboard. So really, the only things that are holding me back from upgrading are the ability to change the song in your pocket, and themes.

Something that had just occurred to me is that since Pocket Touch really only deals with the music and needs to be open to work, and since 3.0(if I'm not mistaken) has the ability to alter your music. Is Pocket Touch possible to have on an unjailbroken iPod/iPhone with 3.0? If so, Skyler, you should consider submitting it to the app store, it's a VERY useful application IMO and many more people would be able to use it than the current number of users.

I also really like my themes, but that's not going to happen on 3.0 until the jailbreak gets released. I suppose I can live without them.

I think I'll upgrade, if worst comes to worst, I can always recover back to 2.2.1. I'd still like people's opinions.
  4. leadergo

leadergo Active Member

i say that the battery life has been significantly increased.

and what i like about 3.0 is that with all these new API's, you get even more ideas for apps.
  5. fast1

fast1 Banned

hmm so its definitely better?

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. bamhm182

bamhm182 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Alright, yeah, I'll upgrade than, another plus to having 3.0 before it's released is that you can brag that you've got 3.0 before everyone else.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Do developers get the firmware for free? Or do we still have to pay the $10?
  7. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    This might be the dumbest thread ever! Why would you even bother getting a dev account if you aren't developing for 3.0 or have a desire to run 3.0? It costs $99!
  8. bamhm182

bamhm182 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    No, you misunderstand. I completely plan to develop for 3.0. However, I'm not sure if I want to give up the jailbroken end of my iPod for the 3.0 firmware. That's what this thread is about, asking people if they would give up a jailbroken 2.2.1 for a legit 3.0.
  9. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    DOn't you think you need a device to test 3.0 apps on?
  10. SiN Altr Ego EL

SiN Altr Ego EL New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    yeah.. the only realy advantage to a dev to have 3.0 is to make sure that your apps will be compatible with 3.0 and to see if you can impliment any of the 3.0 features into your apps.. if you aren't a dev, i wouldn't suggest upgrading, only because there isn't much u can do with it (since it is beta still), and you'll most likely end up going back to 2.2.1. when the REAL 3.0 comes out and all the bugs are fixed and when the jailbreak process comes out, then hell yeah, buy it for $10 and upgrade...

or if this isn't enuff.. look at it this way...

it comes out in June.. so thats like... 2-3 weeks away.. ok..

2-3 weeks wait+$10 = full version+less bugs+better jailbreaking ability

or

$99+Dev Account = limited jailbreak ability, bugs, beta...

your choice.