If you THINK it's bricked - this might help

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Phillip84, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Phillip84

Phillip84 New Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Hey guys I'm new here and new to the Ipod touch 2nd Gen. Just joined a second ago though I've been scanning everyone's posts all last night. I just wanted to offer some help to those of you thinking you have bricked your device. More than likely you haven't bricked it.
    This isn't a guaranteed fix but it worked for me. My ipod "seemed" to be unresponsive and showed nothing but a black screen no matter what button combo I did.
    So all I did was plug it into another computer running iTunes and proceeded with the DFU button combo again. From there I was able to get the origanal firmware back on it.
    This happened twice to me and both times I was scared to death I screwed something up. However, using this method, I was able to restore it back to working condition both times.

For some reason itunes on the original computer I was on stopped recognizing I was in DFU mode and still to this point it doesn't. I will reach DFU mode on the device but sometime last night I stopped getting the restore message from itunes.

Anyway, I hope this helps some of you. Like I said, just try the DFU process on another computer with iTunes and you can restore from there.

ps. If anyone knows why my iTunes has stopped recognizing my device in DFU mode and failing to bring up the restore option, please give me some insight. It works on my wifes laptop but I don't always have that particular computer near me. I have uninstalled iTunes and nothing changed. I am using the most current version. Also, my iPod Touch is 2nd Gen with 2.2.1 firmware. Thanks!