If you guys can't help me, I'm going to shoot my iPod Touch!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by the_doc78, Jul 27, 2010.

1. the_doc78

the_doc78 New Member

Alright. Where to begin?

I updated my iPod this past fall to the 3.0 iPhone OS, and my battery life went to absolute crap afterwards. By January, I was unable to surf the net or even use the Apps store for more than a few minutes before the battery was drained and the iPod was dead. I would charge it for 8 - 10 hours, and get 5 min of use regardless of what I was doing.

I went to the Apple Store (lot of help those idiots were)and was quoted $80 to replace the battery. Needless to say, I didn't bother as frankly, I had searched amazon.com before I went in there and found both the tools I needed and the battery for it under $20.

I don't get around to fixing the battery until a couple of weeks ago, when a friend of mine who is a major electronics nut gave me a hand with changing the batteries out. He got it back together, charged it, updated it to 3.1.3, then noticed that the Wifi was greyed out. We took it apart again, made sure the antenna was making the connection, etc, and closed it back up and fired it up. Still no wifi. I've been trying every single damned method I can find for downgrading this POS, and nothing is working. I've either consistently gotten the Error 20, or now I am getting the Error 1600 while in DFU mode. It doesn't matter what firmware I use, the error always pops up. I've about had it. I'm in the process of getting a new iPod Touch, same gen as mine, same size as mine.

If I can get this working, I would be most appreciative. I'm about to lose what tiny scrap of sanity I have left with this damned stupid thing.

Here is the hard ware I'm working with:

iPod Touch 1G 16gb (3.1.3 firmware... which I believe is responsible for the death of my first battery. Note: the battery draining issue has surfaced in this battery as well. It goes down to 60% after 20-30 min of light use)

PC:
    Intel Core 2 Quad 9550 (3.2ghz, oc)
    8gb DDR3 1333mhz
    Win 7 Ultimate.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Abe

P.S. I have tried every method on this site, and several dozen others, and several "jailbreak" tools.
  2. Mookler

Mookler Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    No offense, but I can't be the only one that wants to see you shoot it.

And to offer a better comment, it seems like you have bad battery and wifi problems, right?

I know several people have had problems as such that were resolved by apple but you seem to not want to go down that path. Not sure what other people have done to fix wifi problems as such
  3. mikec1985

mikec1985 Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    Once Apple releases a new firmware they stop signing older firmwares so it won't be possible to downgrade but people still have been able to downgrade.

Have you tried downgrading iTunes?

When in "DFU" mode is there a connect to iTunes on your device? If so it is not in DFU, it is in restore mode. DFU will look like the device is turned off.
  4. TouchiPod

TouchiPod Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    would downloading an older iTunes help me downgrade to 3.1.2?

On topic: you probably need a new ipod
  5. the_doc78

the_doc78 New Member

mike, it was in full DFU mode. Black screen, everything. I'm going to try iTunes 8 and see if that will work. Also, how have other people been able to down grade? I can't find working links for the older versions of WinPwn, sn0w etc.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    See thats the thing, EVERYTHING else works fine. No memory errors, no app problems, music is fine. It just seems to be that iTunes will NOT allow any other firmware than the most recent. Its BS.
  6. HeadReaper

HeadReaper Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    I second that (on HD video with super slow-mo replay). Anyway, sounds like your idea of getting a new one seems best.
  7. MBA42

MBA42 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
  8. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Make sure you install the f┼čirmware from DFU and then when you get the error at the end of a restore try using a tool such as the Firmware Umbrella to kick it out of restore mode. Generally works a treat. iTunes just doesn't want to naturally take an old firmware on old devices. I wish someone would build a third party tool for installing firmwares outside of iTunes...
  9. Crigger540

Crigger540 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    If you shoot it please post it.

Please Register or Log in to view images

10. Tkf1

Tkf1 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    Shoot your iPod then get an iPod Touch G4.