If you are debating "to JB or not to JB"

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.x Jailbreak' started by chort27, Mar 14, 2008.

1. chort27

chort27 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Most people on this site will try to get you to jailbreak, but it is really your decision in the end. There are plenty of arguments on this site why to jailbreak, I would just like to make a counterargument.

I had a jailbroken iPod for a LONG time, and I found it very unstable. I know there will be some jerks flaming me saying "it's not unstable! Use 1.1.4! ZiPhone Works Great!" I am just stating my experience, so please keep the flaming to a minimum. I had experienced some glitches with my iPod on my jailbreak. When it finally broke enough for me to have to restore it, I've decided to keep it unjailbroken. This is why.

First of all, I only used a few apps: gpsphone (GBA emulator - I only used pokémon ruby), Drummer, and Tris. Honestly, the GBA emulator was a cool thought but the controls were a bit difficult and just no substitute for the real thing. Drummer got old pretty quickly.... what do you do with a drum emulator? All your music already has drums! And tris (tetris) sure is fun, but you can just get it on any cell phone, or as a webapp on 1.1.3-4. While these were cool little tricks to show off to your friends, there is nothing on it that is really worth the jailbreak if you are happy with what you have.

The iPhone on the other hand, there are definately some cool things to get (such as caterpillar and a video recording software), but nothing CRUCIAL that you will be overly happy with. When you first jailbreak, there is a certain "cool" factor that sets in. It's like "WOAGH I JAILBROKE THIS IS PIMPPPPP". Yeah, as soon as that blows over it's not worth it. So if you have an iPhone or are under the age of 17 - go ahead and jailbreak. The little apps and games may keep you entertained for a while. But in the end, it's not licensed software, it voids your warranty, and I don't recommend it.

So now we come across the issue of the SDK. This doesn't apply for everyone, but I bet as soon as the SDK comes out there will be a mass rush of unjailbreaking. Why? Because, you get HIGH QUALITY, PLATFORM games that DON'T void your warranty. You may be saying to yourself "but I have to pay!!!!" Most likely the price for the SDK won't be too expensive for iTouch. Plus, $10-$20 seems like not too much after a (minimum) $300 iPod. As for games, the platform games like Super Monkey Ball will probably cost also $10-$20. So save up for a little bit, it'll be worth it. It's all apple sanctioned, so no warranty void. Plus, since it was made by apple for an apple product, it's most likely a CRAPLOAD more stable than jailbreaking. So I would say just wait for this instead of jailbreaking.

So I know there's going to be all you people who want to flame me. You're thinking HOW DARE HE TELL PEOPLE NOT TO JAILBREAK! IT WORKED PERFECTLY FOR ME!. Please before you post just remember this is just one man's input, and I am not physically stopping anyone from jailbreaking. If you disagree, that is fine. Just make your post be more like: "I disagree with this because my jailbreak has been working fine, although you do have some nice points there" instead of "OMFG DUMBASS MY JAILBREAK IS t3h SHIZN1T AND IT PWNZ YOU SUCK BALLS KTHXBYE"

Thanks for taking the time to read this
    Chort
    1 person likes this.
  2. Melodyy

Melodyy New Member

To be honest, I completely agree with everything you've said.

Personally, i struggled with myself quite a bit after getting my iPod - to jailbreak or not to jailbreak.
    (I chose to jailbreak it)

So far, I've found that I have lots more options after jailbreaking, so I'm quite happy with what I'm getting. However, if glitches start to show, I will most likely just restore it. And like you said, when the SDK comes out, i will definitely "unjailbreak" my iPod, just because "it's most likely a CRAPLOAD more stable than jailbreaking"

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. hovik818

hovik818 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    I agree what you, i have a jailbroken iPod and i hardly even use the damn apps, i just play pool sometimes so i think its the same sh*t just shows that you can do more stuff with but then again i still want the best stuff and i think this is the best for now.
  4. blurx

blurx Member

I like playing solitaire on the go.
  5. stillercity

stillercity New Member

I am just rejailbreaking my iPod to get iZoo and iPhone Apps. Then I'll probably never use installer. Can't wait for SDK though..
  6. Crypt

Crypt Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    well ya obviously if you only jailbreak your ipod for one or two apps you should just leave it unjailbroken

i personally jailbroke for themes

everything else was kinda a side-omgcoolthing

but now there's a whole ton of new stuff i like and i hardly ever use my ipod as an ipod, mostly just a mobile noiz2sa/wikipedia thingy

random things:

1) you can just restore and your warranty is back to being back

2) i don't see why people have a problem with paying for sdk apps (if they do), they'll be well worth it

3) can you not have the app store AND installer? i don't see why not rly

4) super monkey ball etc wasn't made by apple
  7. Shade

Shade New Member

Well, It is your opinion, but I know where you are coming from... a couple of days I was kinda second guessing my jailbreak... but then I lost it due to 1.1.3 soft upgrade instability... I barely ever used my iPod for the couple of days it went un-jailbroken. So now I am happily 1.1.4 jailbroken...
  8. crunchbot

crunchbot New Member

I prefer the jailbroken ipod because it allows me to use it as as a lot more than just the ipod. I love the ability to read ebooks, i can write essays and lab reports in the text editor that feels a little easier than the email, i like the themes, and i have had no problems at all with stability (on 1.1.1, all attempts to jailbreak to 1.1.2 have failed, and i like what i have so i figured why bother?).

I think the games are good quick games, fine for what they are. I like the pockettouch controls that skylar put together a lot.

I chose to get the ipod touch after the jan app pack, because i wanted something with PDA features. Jailbreaking to 1.1.1 is pretty foolproof and straightforward and for what i've used it for, very stable. I suppose that after the SDK proves itself i might change my mind, and go back to official firmware, but what bothered me most about the non jailbroken ipod was that to use webapps i had to be near a wifi signal, and that just seemed stupid. why was i not able to save programs on my ipod? (i could be completely wrong about this, do web apps get saved to the ipod fopr use offline? seemed to me they didn't) it seemed stupid and jailbreaking remedied that and a lot more.

I wouldn't knock yourself out to get wiggly icons, you can set the order of icons with customise. if you are worried about the trouble or if its worth it, try it out for a few days on 1.1.1, look for repos on touchtoolset.com, and see if what's available is worth it to you. I think that the eBook selection that is available is awesome, and the fact it's just .html files makes it even easier to add your own via ssh, from places like project gutenberg. I used to use an old handspring visor for the same place, but the ipod touch is super clear, and i can listen to white noise or other non-distracting but isolating sounds at the same time while on the bus all in one handy device.

also useful for students: dictionary, concise encyclopedia, thesaurus and unit converter. These are the things i use most and why i like it jailbroken.
  9. chort27

chort27 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Thanks for the comments guys, I really appreciate it. It is really nice to see other peoples opinions.

yes, if they jailbreak 2.0 then it will be possible to have both.
    although smb is not made by apple, it is made by a proffessional company, and if it is in the app store it went through apple, and has been checked by them.
  10. tootricky

tootricky New Member

When I first got my ipod touch in January, I JB'd it to 1.1.2. I have waited to JB to 1.1.4 since then. There have been so many soft upgrades and non-working JB's that I haven't seen the point in "upgrading" until ziphone v2.6b came out. Once I saw that it was working on most ipods, I chanced it: It took 30secs to JB, 30mins to resync my Jan apps and music and another 30minutes to install the apps I wanted. I could have wasted hours in the weeks gone by soft upgrading or trying to JB it but I waited until I was pretty sure I wouldn't waste my time.

Patience is a virtue I suppose.

And you can bet that custom firmware running both appstore and Jb apps is just round the corner.