If we are paying for software now, then what is the future like?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 1.1.3 Discussions' started by Altair, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Altair

Altair New Member

If Apple are charging users $20 for the Jan update, then what happens when Apple release more software for the Touch. Because I would be pissed on an almighty level if I pay for the upgrade and then having to pay again in another month or so. So will Apple charge users AGAIN for software in the future?
  2. sct_nh

sct_nh New Member

um..yes...
    pretty obvious
  3. Jodymitoma

Jodymitoma New Member

You will most likely get firmware updates (not apps or widgets), for free, but any apps/widgets they come out with personally will cost you.

Basically the same goes with the SDK for other programmers as does with Apple Inc. You 'll pay for Apple's apps, and pay for programmers apps as well.
  4. KimNeilJung

KimNeilJung New Member

The future's songs bright I'gotta wear shades.
    Good question. The answer is most certainly a big whopping "yes". W
    Apple is probably only the first company of many to take this route.
  5. Evalocity7

Evalocity7 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Meh, I'll just wait for someone to buy the apps/widgets and make it available for iPod Touch's. I am definantly not buying anything...I think they should keep track of the people who bought 1.1.2 firmware and earlier iPod Touch's and give them the future apps/widgets for free for being loyal customers and supporting their product early on the market.
  6. Altair

Altair New Member

Yes that means they will be the first company. Take the Sony PSP for example, that has some fantastic features with more being planned and released. I can't believe Apple would do this.
  7. ollie77

ollie77 New Member

They're just firmware updates not applications, you still have to buy the games to play on your PSP...
  8. emjoi

emjoi New Member

Well of course it is going to become another iTunes revenue stream.
    The whole history of iPods has shown that Apple keeps a tight control and makes sure you pay for everything and Apple gets it's cut of the profits.

Free apps, or even apps bought from a third party do nothing for Apple.
  9. Storm Surge

Storm Surge New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    you are wrong Sony gives updates that are littered with features. Sony plans on releasing Skype for free. Recently a free update allowed internet radio. Ps3 also gets updates enabling divx playback, and home is set to release, all free.

Apple would have charged
  10. robertandenith

robertandenith New Member

the same as always be... I have paid for software updates all my life including when I used to own PC like upgrading from Windows 98 to Millenium, then from Millenium to XP.... Technology changes all the time and the geniouses behind them need to get paid

Please Register or Log in to view images