If the 2G jailbreak is a hard mod, would it be possible to brick?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sprint_user, Oct 19, 2008.

1. sprint_user

sprint_user New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    would it be possible to straight up brick it? Just wondering
  2. Meikura

Meikura Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I imagine so.
    Probably quite easy too.
  3. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    That's a good question, I've read that bricking the iPod must be done with hardware...

Not sure.
  4. f1av0rflave

f1av0rflave Banned

clip a wire by accident
  5. sprint_user

sprint_user New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    will there ever be a software mod for the 2g, cause wasnt 1.1.4 suposed to be a hardware mod? Then the dev team found a software mod?
  6. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    That's something no one really knows at the moment.
  7. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    what do you mean?
    the firmware update 1.1.4 was NO hardware mod - a firmware cant change the hardware. so there was still the exploit in the processor causing 1G will EVER stay jailbreakable. 2G doesn't have this exploit so the DEVteamshave to go another way.
    -----------------------------------------
    anyway to brick an iPod Touch 2G while hardware-jailbreak it is very very easy! many users will perhaps brick their devices if it comes to such a thing.

just take a look into the 1G device and you know what you're going to see if you're going to open it.
    here>> http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106543
    2G is very similar to that you can google for iFixit pictures.

also 2G's LCD is taped so you have to own/buy special adhesive to reassemble 2G. In the end you can see it's not that easy as you probably thought of.
  8. Harry Paratestes

Harry Paratestes New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    If it ever came to it

If it ever came to it, it would most likely consist of a solder in module with some sort of flashable chip to insert the right code like the first gen XBOX mod chips were. I would imagine it would need to be done by a highly experienced solderer with the correct equipment, as the components inside the ipod touch are so small. Soldering something like the ipod touch circuitry it could easily be damaged....broken traces, bridged solder, accidental removal of smt's. Back in the early days of modding xboxes I bought dozens of broken XBOX's from ebay and craigslist from noobs that tried to mod them with little or no experience in soldering, I saw all of the above listed damages but was able to repair the majority of them. So yes it would be VERY easy to brick your ipod. I would guess that 90% of the people in these forums would be incapable of doing a hardware mod without damaging their ipod.
  9. reluttr

reluttr New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Im sure when a solution is released it will be a software mod... Its just not the dev teams style to go the easy way out

Please Register or Log in to view images

10. BigDaveyJ

BigDaveyJ New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Omfg

From http://chronic-dev.com/blog/

Explanation
    October 17th, 2008

There has been a bit of confusion going on, with different terms being passed around and confused for something else. I would like to clear a few things up.

Hardware-Level Exploit
    This is what Pwnage 2 is based on. It is considered one of the best exploits yet because it is such a low level one. It does not matter what firmware version you are on. This is because the code is burned into the bootrom of the iPhone, iPhone 3G, and iPod Touch. The firmware itself is even a higher level then this exploit is based on, is what I am saying. Basically, because it is built into the hardware, Apple cannot fix it without a hardware revision. You could be on version 1.0.0 or 3.0 and as long as you are using an exploitable bootrom, then you will always be able to pwn it no matter what. So basically, anyone with an iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPhone 3G do not have to worry about it getting fixed. The best Apple can do is prevent it from the iTunes side of things, but since that can be reversed and patch that does not matter. Now the downside to such a low level exploit is that even if iPod Touch 2G firmware 2.2 came out and iPhone 2.2 came out, you can still pwn the iPhone but not the iPod Touch 2G, because the exploit is not there in the iPod Touch 2G hardware.

Bootloader Level Exploit
    I don’t know if this is what the official name of such an exploit would be, but what I mean is an exploit in the iBoot, or the iPhone / iPod bootloader. Some examples would be the ramdisk exploitor the diags exploit. Unfortunately, since the iBoot and friends are flashed during restore to a newer one found in the IPSW, these kinds of exploits can be patched. But, with that being said, you will always be able to, if you found an iBoot exploit, load it on compatible hardware. Like, if you tried, you cannot load a ramdisk/diags exploitable iBoot onto an iPod Touch 2G, because it does not support the old 8900 format. But, if an exploit was found in the iPod Touch 2G 2.1.1 iBoot, for example, and Apple fixed it for iPod Touch 2G 2.2, then you can always load an exploitable iBoot. All you would have to do is plug your device into the computer with all iTunes related processes killed, in DFU mode, and then grab iRecovery. Send it DFU the old exploitable iBSS, found in the old firmware IPSW, and then do the exploit as it would be normally done. Note that this does NOT mean that we have a jailbreak and this is the method, I am saying that if an exploit is found, this is how you can make it so that it will work on other firmware versions that have it fixed. Now, it is not quite as awesome as a bootrom exploit, but ranks pretty close.

Im seriously sick of this sh*t. SHUT THE EFF UP