If I'm buying an iPod this week should I worry about faulty units?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Hunid Racks, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Hunid Racks

Hunid Racks New Member

iPod Touch btw, Should I be worrying about getting those week 37/38's or whatever. I've seen a bit of talk on here about some faulty ones from week 37 and 38 also had some issues. Might I still get one of those almost 2 months later?

Please Register or Log in to view images

Or have they back ordered those and put out good units now?

If not, which retailers should I avoid most to not catch one of them? I presume places like walmart and target have those things behind cases for a while?
  2. kyledylanconner

kyledylanconner New Member

I believe that it would just be smart to order directly from Apple, but if you want a cheaper price, than check out Sell.com.
  3. jasonweaver

jasonweaver New Member

i bought my ipod from apple a few weeks ago and got a week 38 and it works out fine

and if there is anything wrong apple will replace your ipod
  4. kyledylanconner

In the 14 day period only. I suggest getting 1 year of AppleCare.
  5. jasonweaver

jasonweaver New Member

getting apple to replace your ipod is all about how you talk to them. Dont be rude but insist that the ipod should be placed. If the person looks young then assume that he has limited options and that he is trying to help you but is not allowed due to store policy, and ask to speak to a manager. if they still wont return it, yell. If you cause a scene it will be embarassing for both of you and fun for everyone else.

If your ipod isnt up to par then im sure apple wont care about the 14 days, just tell them that it was a gift that was bought a few weeks ago.

but i forgot to mention this

if you go to apple you can ask to get a week 38 (for me that was all they had) but if you go to other places they may not let you
  6. kyledylanconner

They care about the 14 days. I have gone through 3 iPod Touch's, because the first two were defective. The first one I purchased I did not buy AppleCare for. The first one I bought was defective, and the second one I bought was defective too. I got the first one returned under the 14 days. The 2nd one...I did not get returned under the 14 days, and they wouldn't replace it. So I ended up waisting money on a defective iPod Touch and having to buy another one once again.

You can't sweet talk them into doing what you want

. Also, don't recommend something if you aren't sure it is positive or will work.
  7. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

If it is defective, Apple will take it back and exchange it after the 14 days.

As far as worrying about getting a defective one, I wouldn't worry any more than I'd worry about getting anything else defective. The screen issues have been mostly resolved. It was partially due to bad hardware and partially due to bad software. The most recent firmware change to 1.1.1 helped out a lot to reduce the negative black issue.

For what it's worth, mine is a week 37 and has been perfect since the day that I got it. So don't let the fact that your iPod is an early week (if it happens to be) bother you.

As far as AppleCare goes, my personal stance on it is that it is a waste of money. I have never once needed anything like it, nor have anyone that I know on anything we have haver bought. But if it makes you feel comfortable, then go ahead, it can't hurt.
  8. avaloncourt

avaloncourt New Member

You've never needed an extended warranty for anything from Apple or anything at all? (You say "nor have anyone that I know on anything we have haver bought.") If you are saying anything then I'd have to completely disagree with you. Some people say they would have never needed extended warranties but I'm thinking those people don't keep things long enough to use them. I have used extended warranties many, many times.

Sony Wega television: Twice repaired under an extended warranty.

Toshiba 50" HDTV: Twice repaired in-house under extended warranty. The authorized repair station said they wouldn't have even done an on-site repair had I not had an extended warranty and they are the only repair facility within 90 miles. I don't know about you but I would not have liked to transport a rear projection 50" to them and pick it up.

Dell Desktop: Repaired three times on-site under extended warranty.

Dell Laptop: Repaired four times on-site under extended warranty. One repair alone parts were swapped totaling $2300 at what their retail parts direct sales would have cost. The extended warranty has paid for that full machine cost three times over.

PocketPC handheld: Repaired once under extended warranty. Actually it was a next business day direct swap.

DirecTV-Tivo Series 1: Swapped out three times under Circuit City extended warranty.

Cell phones: I've had many swap-outs under extended coverage. (Nothing due to abuse, only electronic failures.)

So, yes, I've had plenty of value from extended warranties. I buy them based on how likely I feel a failure would be and the actual cost of an item.

People would generally say a Touch isn't likely to fail but there are several weak points. The home button, the earphone connector and the sync/charge connector. I've had numerous earphone connectors fail due to the number of connects and disconnects. The sync connector gets used a lot and the amount of potential risk is great depending on the kind of devices you dock it into.

I happened to have purchased a two-year replacement warranty when I purchased mine from NewEgg. If mine fails I get another shipped to me. At 12.5% of the purchase cost that's a reasonable hedge against a two-year failure. I am nowhere near an Apple store. There are two approximately 100 miles away in two different directions.
  9. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

I stand by what I say. Neither I, nor anybody that I know has used the extended warrantee*.

*I know somebody who used their Cell Phone warrantee to keep getting new phones each time his phone broke, but it was a Razr, and a broken Razr is to be expected.

PS, finally somebody who is farther frm an Apple store than I. I have to go almost 40 miles one way and almost 50 miles the other.
  10. avaloncourt

avaloncourt New Member

Of course you haven't used an extended warranty. You don't buy them

I do have to qualify my cell phone comment that every one of the failures was on a Motorola phone with some much worse than others. One had just been replaced. I went out to the car and plugged it into the charger to discover that it wouldn't charge. I got out, walked back into the store and handed it back. I've learned my lesson. I'm trying LG now but LG scares me based on their history. I used to sell consumer electronics and when LG hit the US marketplace they were absolute garbage. There were many times we couldn't put a display model out because we couldn't find a unit that worked. Back then LG was known by its real name. Most people don't realize LG stands for Lucky Goldstar. We'd always joke that the company was well named... we'd be lucky if we found one that worked. There was a story about the CEO coming to the US to find out why the products weren't selling and he was told it was the reputation Goldstar has in the US and that's when he changed the name to LG. I had hoped that it wasn't merely a name change to fool the public. People seem to be satisfied with LG products these days so they must have changed their quality control.

Yeah, it's a bummer and neither one is very convenient even if I drove there. They're a real nuisance to get to coming from my direction. I will be down in Atlantic City in a month and there will be a store about 500 feet away from where I'm staying so I'm definitely going to drop in and look around.