if i cant get a new ipod because screen cracked.. should i brick it?

Discussion in 'Introduce yourself' started by dylanparrish, Sep 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dylanparrish

dylanparrish New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    • Illegal/piracy-related discussions
    ok i have an ipod touch 2g running jailbroken 3.0 firmware... i love it to death..
    i recently dropped it and cracked the screen but EVERYTHING still works fine. I have been doing some reading around on the internet about other people doing the same and then realizing that the warranty DOES NOT cover it. So... if i can't get a replacement because the screen is cracked, can i brick it and go in and say that i tried upgrading to the 3.1 firmware and it bricked? so they HAVE to give me a replacement. and just say that i cracked the screen a month ago?

if anyone has any information about this before i decide whether to brick it and hope for the best..

even if i dont get a replacement i can just re-install the firmware, and be back in the exact spot i am in now.

btw it is still under warranty
  2. Gershmer

Gershmer Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I would say it's fraud.

3. iptman

iptman Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Short Answer: No
  4. RainbowKT

RainbowKT New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    They will tell you its not working because the screen is cracked plain and simple apple doesnt want to lose money
  5. Mosaic

Mosaic Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
  6. Bassface

Bassface New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Dude that's really dishonest. Just buy a new one for 200 DOLLARS
  7. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

My name may no longer be green, but I can still infract you. And I did (a warning).

The warrantee only covers things such as manufacturer's defects. Dropping your device is absolutely not a manufacturer's defect. However, if you go into an Apple store, you may still get a refurbished device right there on the spot with no charge. I know I did.

I went right in and handed them my phone, and told them that it was dropped. This was right after the 16GB iPhone came out in February 08, and hardly anyone had them. I had to drive two hours to an Apple store. It worked out alright because the Apple store employee recognized my name and just gave me a new iPhone.

Othrwise, I was prepared to pay $300 for a screen replacement. You should go in prepared to pay, but if you are nice, polite, adn respectful, you never know what may happen.

First off, do NOT lie to Apple employees. That will only annoy them and hurt your chances of achieving your goal.

EDIT: Oh yeah, never, ever, go in claiming your device is bricked. Apple geniuses can flash, format, and fix your device right in the store. All they will do is "unbrick" it for you, wasting their time and yours.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.