If i buy an unlocked iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LovesToTouch, Dec 11, 2008.

1. LovesToTouch

LovesToTouch New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Will i need to pay for edge or is there a way i can just use it for solely phone calls and not get used for edge.

The thing is i want to get a iphone/ipod touch for christmas. And looking around craigslist I can get a 8gb iphone for around 200/250 unlocked which is around the price of a 2g ipod touch And i'd only have to carry around the iphone and not my phone and itouch. So what i was wondering is i have a family plan where i get like 1500 minutes for me and my dad with at&t with rollover just 2 basic razors and such so with an unlocked iphone can i use it with this plan or will it not work? And will i get charged for edge or 3g service or is there a way i can turn it off? Im in no way asking if i can use internet without wifi without being charged. I know i'll be charged if i intentionally use safari on the road. But does it do any updates i can stop that will charge me for the webservice? Im most likely talking about a first gen normal iphone since i won't need 3g serivce since i only plan on using wifi internet.

Thanks for the help if you can clear up anything about using an unlocked iphone for them it'll be great.

Is it just as easy as taking my sim card out of my normal phone and dropping it in the iphone?
  2. Tman47

Tman47 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    just dont go on the internet, and make sure your mail is set to manual check. and just check stuff when youre in wifi. dont text, or use any apps that use edge.
  3. lakers123

lakers123 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    or jailbreak it and turn off edge in bossprefs and that way it will always be off
  4. Tman47

Tman47 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    turning off edge wont allow him to make calls
  5. LovesToTouch

LovesToTouch New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Well if i just stay off safari and email while not on the road unless in wifi will i be safe? Or should i just get a touch and keep my phone.
  6. Raist3001

Raist3001 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    My edge is turned off in Boss prefs and I can still make phone calls.

I have an unlocked iPhone where I used my old at&t sim card from my Razr. Even with edge on, I never got charged for data usage.

Without a data plan, how can edge be used?

If you try to open an internet page, you will get the cannot open page error, and texting does not use edge. Nor can you view email or send email without wi-fi.
  7. LovesToTouch

LovesToTouch New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    thanks for clearing that up
  8. kixphlat

kixphlat Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    without data plan, i don't think you can use edge. I'm not sure
  9. leadergo

leadergo Active Member

depends on the service provider. myself, im with Rogers, and i dont have a data plan, so i used bossprefs to turn EDGE off before i get raped with insane data charges. and data is through EDGE, not 3G, so if EDGE is off, you wont connect to a cellular data connection.
  10. kixphlat

kixphlat Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    So you can actually use 3G without a dataplan with a prepay sim?

Edit: I never tried it out cuz I am also scared I might get charged craploads