iPhone 3GS if I buy an unlocked 3Gs from eBay, will that be EXACTLY the same as buying it here?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by felixen, Aug 4, 2009.

1. felixen

felixen Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I live in Denmark and here the iphone 3Gs and first and foremost the thing is sold out, and also it's expensive like hell over here. So I wanted to ebay it and I found a bunch of unlocked ones.

so here's what I'm wondering:

Is the unlock "permanent"? Meaning, if this UK iPhone comes with firmware 3.0, and they do a 3.1, and eventually a 4.0, will this unlock still function, or will I have to re-unlock when I update the firmware? I have a friend who had the first iPhone, and he had a friend update his iPhone, becuase he needed to unlock it again after an update.

I live in Denmark, and I want my iPhone to be EXACTLY the same as if I bought it over here. I don't want to all of the sudden have to restore, re-unlock, not be able to update or stuff like that.
  2. Andrew2

Andrew2 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    When you update, you will most likely have to wait for a new unlock to come out. Same as if you restore it, you will still have to re-jailbreak and then unlock it again. But yes, the phone itself should be the same.

Mind you jailbreaking and unlocking isn't exactly hard... There's tons of tuts on it, especially on this site.
  3. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Its not a permanant unlock. So yes, every update you would have to wait for a new version of pwnage to remove the baseband update.
  4. flashisflamable

flashisflamable New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    There are factory unlocked ones sold in many countries like France, I think. But they cost a bit more
  5. felixen

felixen Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    So you can unlock the whole thing with Pwnage program? And even if I dont jailbreak I will still have to restore and then unlock again when I update?
  6. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Where there's a dev team, there's a way

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. Skrappy213

Skrappy213 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    i have come into some auctions on ebay which sell official unlock iphone 3gs's
    but like someone mention there price are high like 1000 for 16gb idk bout the 32gb
    thought but lmk if u need a link they also have auctions for their country with a less
    price since other countries have less ebay fee's then the U.S.A
  8. felixen

felixen Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I see.. One thing that would really bother me with all this restoring and reunlocking is that I´m going to lose all app data each time.. Saves in games and such.. Are there really no way of backing up app data??
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    I just got this email from the seller:

Dear felixen21,

Hi Oliver.
    Yes the latest version of unlock we use allows updates to be applied, so you can upgrade to any future firmware without any worries of having to unlock it again. It is on version 3.0 which all 3GS iphones come with as standard.

Buy now price is £480 plus shipping which would be £15 to denmark.

Many thanks,

Mike.

- mikefitz18

Second email from him:

Hi Again Oliver,
    Sorry should have explained, the phone is running with a sim adapter to unlock it and will work with any card, so it can be upgraded at any time in the future.

Can I trust him you think? He`s got like 3 positive feedback ratings and thats it, but two of them are from power sellers
  9. smarty94

smarty94 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Be advised, piggyback sims don't allways work but what he says is pretty much correct
  10. SeeFreaky

SeeFreaky New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Sim adapters aren't always reliable.