Idiots Guide: Making an iPod Touch mic with Macally iVoiceIII

Discussion in 'iPod touch VoIP and Telephony' started by cTTbLaKeMAn, Jan 28, 2008.

1. cTTbLaKeMAn

cTTbLaKeMAn New Member

iPod Touch mic with a Macally iVoiceIII
    Written by cTTbLaKeMAn
    with help from skatergod

-What this is about
    This will allow you to take an original Macally iVoiceIII and be compatible with your iPod Touch.

-Precautions and warnings
    I am in no way responsible for anything that could or might happen to your iPod or mic. Please use caution when following this tutorial, but if you follow each step carefully, you should have a working mic. If you have little to no soldering skill, I STRONGLY RECOMMEND you practice on something else, like a broken circuit board or motherboard, because one slip with the soldering iron, or solder splash on the mic, and its toast. If you fulfill the above mentioned, please continue on.

------------ Change Log-v1.1 ------------------------------

-Added "Microphone Operation" section at the end 1/29/08
    -Added pictures 1/28/08

-What you will need
    An iPod Touch
    A Macally iVoiceIII
    A 15-25 watt soldering iron
    Small gauge solder (preferably rosin-core)
    30 AWG wire, available from here
    Razor-Knife or Xacto Knife
    Steady Hands

First off,
    You have your mic in your hands, heres the package.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Here's the reverse side of the package.

Here it is out of the box

Now, that you have it out of the box, you need to grab your razor and carefully cut along this small edge of the mic. It will take about 45 minutes to fully open up. Prying it open is done closer to the connector of the mic, but carefully pry it open once all the edges are cut out. Here's the edges already cut:

2. cTTbLaKeMAn

cTTbLaKeMAn New Member

Here's what you will have after removing the bottom cover of the mic

Now, you need to heat up your soldering iron and get rid of R24 on the board. Here's R24

Carefully take your soldering iron, and heat up the solder on both sides of the connector, when the solder is loose, you gently push with your iron and lift up one end of the connector and it will come off. NOTE: DO NOT LEAVE YOUR SOLDER ON THE CONNECTOR FOR LONGER THAN 4 SECONDS. LONGER WILL CAUSE DAMAGE TO THE CIRCUIT BOARD!
    Here's what you will have after R24 is removed, you can compare the pictures if you'd like

Now that R24 is gone, you are going to have to solder a wire from the left side of R24, to the right side of C16 Here's the wire that I used, and you will have to strip about 1/16th of the coating on the wire, too much will let the wire come into contact with other points on the board, and may cause a short. Make sure however much wire is stripped is enough to be soldered onto a point, but not too much to short out with another point if it comes into contact.

3. cTTbLaKeMAn

cTTbLaKeMAn New Member

Solder the wire on from the left side of R24, to the right side of C16. Again, be sure not to leave the soldering iron on the pins for longer than 4 seconds, as this will scorch the pins and cause damage to the circuit board. This is the picture after soldering

Now that you have finished, plug it into your iPod Touch and give it a whirl. Upon plugging in the mic, the iPod will say "This accessory is not supported by iPod" but it DOES work after this tutorial.

The Operation of the Mic ---- Please Read

After talking to some of the guys at Touchmods.net, I am aware that this Macally mic is preamped at 1.6volts which is super-sensitive and it is meant to record sounds from a distance. Being said, Voicenotes works the best when testing your mic because there is a script in Voicenotes that encodes the line-in and makes the output a lot nicer sounding. Now, if you were to use this Macally mic with Sip-VoIP, you will pick up a ton of background noise and/or static which will be heard on the other end of the line. I have asked "why doesn't Sip-VoIP use similar code to VoiceNotes so the sound is a lot clearer?", and they replied simply with "it wouldn't work." However, a solution to this problem can be overcome by physically adding a resistor to the left side of R24 connected to the right side of C16 (the same points as described earlier to connect the single wire.) I am unaware of how many Ohms the resistor needs to deplete some of that background noise for Sip-Voip, but I am guessing anywhere from 15 Ohms to 100 Ohms. This has not been tested yet, but will be in the near future. But, by adding this resistor to the two points, you are decreasing sensitivity of the mic and VoiceNotes will probably not function properly with a resistor. Again, I am not sure if this is the case because I have not tried it personally.

I also use VoiceNotes v0.30 by Erica Sadun to test my mic. I have read that this application is only for the iPhone, however it does run on the iPod Touch, but it crashes sometimes when saving a recording, but after rebooting from the crash it saves whatever was recorded prior to clicking the stop recording button. So VoiceNotes does work and is available from Installer as well.

Please feel free to leave comments,questions or even critique this tutorial. You can also PM me with problems you may have. Thanks.

Enjoy
    -Blake
  4. xM45x

xM45x New Member

nice tutorial
  5. cTTbLaKeMAn

cTTbLaKeMAn New Member

Thanks, I wanted to use my own pictures cause the others didnt seem to help that much.
  6. Omega Chaos

Omega Chaos Banned

Very nice guide, man!

This will surely help out all the newbies out there.

7. iTouch532

iTouch532 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    NICE ONE! I'm going to do it for the hell of it!

so will this work for like voice recording as well? I don't Use VOiP
  8. drkassassin

drkassassin New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    yes it does work for that
  9. super51fan

super51fan Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    thnaks that helped a lot
  10. nerdy1

nerdy1 New Member

this should be stickyed really nice guide put together!