Ideas for a school literary arts magazine?

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by steve19137, Mar 16, 2010.

1. steve19137

steve19137 New Member

My school publishes a nationally acclaimed literary arts magazine, called Voices. It is published every year, and they accept electronic art, among other things. I want to make something, and even though I don't have enough time to submit something worthwhile, I want some ideas for something I might make for next year. I have just gotten into GIMP and Inkscape, and I really like using them. I particulalry like abstract art and pictures of space (ie: galaxies, nebulas, multiple planets, etc.,). So anyone have an idea I can jump off of?
  2. mattym

mattym New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Ever heard of space painting? Its a really cool way of using spray paint in making space scenery. Its a real simple method(at least idea of a a method) that yields interesting results. I think if you put your mind to it you could come up with a digital method of doing it. Just google "space painting" and you should get examples and videos of how they do it.
  3. steve19137

steve19137 New Member

ya, i might take a look at that. i did a google on sci fi art, and i got some really cool pics. right now, im looking for a way to create and metallic semi-transparent layer to put over an image of a globe. just to see what it would look like. i think i might try making a dark, earthy sci fi city. it will be alot of work, but ill give it a try. anyone else?
  4. rofl.

rofl. Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I like your ideas. I too like spacey and sci-fi art. If I were to write for them though, I would so do an article on art of today compared to art of centuries ago, such as the Renaissance - when the La Mona Lisa was painted and many famous sculptures were made from a block of stone. It is a really interesting topic to talk and write about because you get many mixed feelings from artists. I myself wouldn't mind doing the article for it even if it has no way to benefit myself.
  5. steve19137

steve19137 New Member

I don't think you understand. It is a very... diverse magazine. It has short stories, art, one time there was even an CD with music. I am trying to make a picture of space or an exploding planet, maybe even some surrealism mixed in. But writing is not what I'm going for.

EDIT: I think the magazine also aims to have primarily fictional work. Further rereading of your post made me feel like the idea of comparing old and modern art was an essay. Not quite what people want to read.
  6. Alpacaman

Alpacaman New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Try solargraphy, it basically involves making a robust pinhole camera, with ultra insensitive film, and setting it on a six moth exposure of the sun (where it rises and sets). That would be sure to get some interest. OR you could do the whole long exposure light painting thing, but be sure to do it in interesting places to avoid cliche.