1. makaveldon04i

makaveldon04i New Member

can we maybe consider this?

since i see at least 5 threads a day about people posting and asking how to jailbreak...can we make a forum for newcomers, where they can only view topics in the special subforum such as how to jailbreak, getting themes,and ect ect, how to use winscp and junk...so they wont have to post around new threads...

its just a suggestion,seeing how people dont like searching, but getting everything handed to them on a golden plate..
  2. Vision_Again

Vision_Again New Member

Device:
    iPad
    YAAAAA we really need tht
  3. Arsenalc08

Arsenalc08 New Member

That is pretty much exactly what I said in my thread but dumbed down, and I got a thumbs down, wtf?
  4. makaveldon04i

makaveldon04i New Member

i never saw it...
  5. optikalblitz

optikalblitz New Member

If he has the same idea as you, support him. You admitted that it was dumbed down so why are you surprised to receive a thumbs down?

Anyway, i really think this is a choice idea. I'm getting tired of threads proposing to beat the dead horse that is Jailbreaking.

"What kind of case are you using?"
    "What is Jailbreaking? How do i know what version firmware i have??"
    "What is SSH? How do i 'SSH' into my touch?" It's been answered
    "What is a 'repo'?"

Each one of these has been answered over and again. To be honest, since joining i've never made a single thread asking any of these questions because all i had to do was look at either one of the FAQ's or search (important: searching sometimes takes more than 2 minutes and one string). So, i agree with makavel' that this info needs to be consolidated into a n00b primer area. Wanted to echo (echo echo) this sentiment.
  6. makaveldon04i

makaveldon04i New Member

i just hope the mods/admins see this to drop their opinions
  7. Chriswells1993

Chriswells1993 New Member

How would you guage weather somebody was new? eg. I had jailbroken my iTouch and added everything I wanted except emulators before I joined this forum
  8. Andy Huang

Andy Huang Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Thank you for your suggestion!

The counter argument for that is; if they can't post in those specific forums, they'll post them else where, and if they can't post else where, where do they start? Should the suggested be implemented, it will just make a bigger mess for everyone, and make the moderation task even harder for our hard overworked moderators

Please Register or Log in to view images

However, I do agree with you that a centralized information source is nice... which is why we have the wiki available! The wiki can be seen here: http://www.ifans.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page is a great place to start a little section of your own, and document all the wonderful things newbies seek. And that way they won't need to ask as many questions.

Thank you again for your suggestion. If you have more suggestions, please please please do keep them coming, so we can work together to make the forum a better place

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. optikalblitz

optikalblitz New Member

Chris'- Very good point. But you're somewhat outside of the population to whom we must address--simply because you don't have the true new-to-the-game questions that are flooding our forum right now.

While i like pretty much everything about this site, there are some parts that stand out:
    -Wiki..omg yes the wiki.
    -Introductions forum (i think intro posts must be mandatory..but that's a tough one to implement)
    -Stickied FAQs

I think "app ideas" should be posted only in a subforum of the Development section, because it's starting to clutter up the Applications forum quite badly. It's just a peeve of mine seeing a thread title saying "Flash for Mobile Safari!!" only to open it and be completely disappointed to read: "Duhhhhh wouldn't it be a great idea to hack flash into our Safari Browsers?!?!!?!" But that also harps again on the moderation of new members.....

Anyway, i know my ideas if attempted would put a strain on the moderation staff..but i'm sure there are experienced members that would not mind helping out part time to pick up the slack and mod these forums with you..ahem..

Cheers
  10. makaveldon04i

makaveldon04i New Member

thing is, 3/4 of the people that post here asking about how to jailbreak dont have the patience to look around the forum, im positive that 1/2 of the people that ask how to jailbreak dont even know that this site has a wiki...