Idea to combat cracked apps

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by Meikura, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Meikura

Meikura Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Just to make clear: I'm not a developer. This is just something I thought up, and may be an idea for you devs to implement.

OK, I've been watching the beejive "crisis" where all these users who have cracked apps are fuming because they can't use beejive. What I've noticed though is that quite a few of those users will then move onto a competing product. If you ask me, this is not the way to go.

Devs, here's an idea for you: If you detect your application is cracked, put some ads in! Don't disable the functionality of your program, as this will most likely cause users to leave. Sure, there's no way you'll get the revenue back, but the chances are that users may just think "If I purchase it, it'll get rid of all these ads!"

I don't mean go crazy and put them everywhere, but perhaps a 6 second unskippable ad when the app is opened, followed by small ads at the bottom of the screen.

What do you think?
  2. Chicken

Chicken Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Sounds like a good idea to me.
  3. Duykur

Duykur Banned

good idea, seems hard to implement though, first off you have to detect that the app is cracked. I'm not much of a programmer so i have no idea how to do this
  4. mmitt

mmitt New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    If you had wifi, you could ping a server with a code that you got from buying it. If the server gets an incorrect code, it would kill the app.

If no wifi, you would have to run signature checks, but MuscleNerd proved that it would be easy to go around.
  5. Steaps

Steaps New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Very good idea. Wouldn't be that hard to implement either. Thanks!
    Too bad i don't have any applications on the App Store yet, and if i did, they wouldn't be good enough to be cracked

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. Chicken

Chicken Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Same here, why would people want to crack my apps?
  7. gunzmaiet

gunzmaiet New Member

The problem is that the crackers would probably bypass the crack check or remove the ad somehow...
    and since they have coding experience...
  8. mojon

mojon New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    lots of developers have made versions with ads (free) and versions paid if you want no ads
  9. Meikura

Meikura Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    The difference is, this is just one version. If it has been cracked, the app detects it and forces adverts on the user.
  10. Steaps

Steaps New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    They will not go through the trouble of HEXing out the ads. That would take forever, and you would need to be highly experienced.