[IDEA] get the appstore apps for free! Questions and maybe answers!

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Games & Apps' started by Winterboard, Jul 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winterboard

Winterboard Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    so to start I'd like to say: please NO FLAMING!
    I didnt read the 13442 threads out here already but I just have this idea.

Some users discovered that by changing the extension to .zip apps could be extracted and you would have normal iPod apps like on installer.

We also all know (I mean can it be any clearer) that 2.0 is jailbroken.

Is it possible to just send the apps in? Ssh or USB? Thats what we have to discover next.

This brings us to the drm question. It is certanly stored in the app because the app registers the 5 computers it has been installed on. But I don't think iTunes will edit any app files. Can anyone tell me what sort if files are in there? Could it just be saved in a plist file (not probable) can the file be replaced with another file? From antother app?

Also does the drm check occur on the iPod or only in iTunes? If only in iTunes jailbreakers will have an easy job putting apps on.

These are some questions we all want answered. Please post your tought and findings.

Cheers,

Winterboard
  2. engineers

engineers New Member

i took a preliminary look at it and i think that you can.
    im gonna further investigate and i'll report back
  3. Winterboard

Winterboard Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
  4. drkassassin

drkassassin New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    im glad people are thinking about this lol
  5. crizh4x

crizh4x Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    This thread needs to be closed. And fast. Sure, I could break the DRM in these things easily if I wanted to. I figured out the .zip thing in the first place. It isn't a hard concept. I'm sure though that the DRM is more complex than you think. Apple would not give developers 70% of revenue when the Applications can be so easily pirated.

What you are discussing is technically illegal and I won't stand to hear more of it. Condoning the actions suggested here make you nothing more than a common theif. Enough said.

DRM CAN legally be removed for backup purposes, but obviously this isn't the intent.

AND get used to this because I'm posting it in all the threads about trading until mods start closing threads because this is unacceptable.
  6. BigDaveyJ

BigDaveyJ New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    could we also take apps, zip them up, change it to .ipa and put them for it? im going to try that
  7. crizh4x

crizh4x Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I'd be willing to bet there is MD5 checksums etc. And ummmm what apps can you access have been ported to this build of 2.0 ?
  8. H3X

H3X New Member

We already have a method working well. It's really easy.

And no, SSH WILL NOT work until somebody cracks the validation system, like we did for iPod Video. Of course, for iPod Video it was much easier.
  9. mikedavinci22

mikedavinci22 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    i changed the file extension from .ipa -> .zip and extracted the .app

then i sshd into my jb'n 1.1.4 + uploaded remote.app. it shows up, but it crashes instantly [duh, cuz 1.1.4, not 2.0 i know] but it shows up on my home screen + it wiggles and moves around.....

so wouldnt this techincally be possible?
  10. crizh4x

crizh4x Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    with ease.

BUT ITS ILLEGAL SO DROP IT

And if I sound slightly angered at this, it's because these developers work hard to bring their best and this is how we repay them? it disgusts me seriously.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.