Idea for untetherd boot on ipod touch 2g

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by omokas, Feb 14, 2009.

1. omokas

omokas Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    I think i found an idea on how we will force the system to boot up in jailbroken mode.

1.We will edit the kernelcache.s5l8900x or kernelcache.s5l8720x or kernelcache.s5l8720p to run an application on boot , the ipod will try to boot and it will run the Command prompt (mobile commander or something like this)

2.We will put the iRecovery folder on the ROOT on Ipod's filesystem and run the commands on the ipod to boot

3.We will make a copy of kernelcache.s5l8900x (or the others) that we will name it kernelcacheUntetherdboot.s5l8900x and we will send the command to boot this kernelcache

Can this be done MuscleNerd?
    Please answer ASAP , msn atimoterataki@hotmail.com , email : omokas@gmail.com
  2. SkullReaver

SkullReaver New Member

although i have no idea what's this but sounds like a great idea. bumps for you and the community

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. Clash

Clash New Member

anwser is no
  4. omokas

omokas Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    why the answer is NO ? It can happen if we changed the files on DFU mode to press the power + home button 20 seconds and a command prompt will pop up.

Theorically
  5. Meikura

Meikura Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    When the iPod first boots up, sig checks are performed on the firmware to make sure it hasn't been modified.

If it has, it cannot boot up. The only way to do what you're suggesting is to modify the firmware.

As far as I'm aware, sig checks come first before everything. It's a no-go.
  6. Austinjb555

Austinjb555 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    What about making a pArtition with the needed boot files on it?
  7. omokas

omokas Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    I think Meikura has right , the signature check its first on boot , and Apple make the system to not accept those patches , and if we change a file , the ipod just not boots, Apple have thought it very good before.
  8. red_5

red_5 Member

I suppose we can't generate our own accepted signature...?
  9. Exosion

Exosion Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    No, not possible either.

The idea, in theory is good and can be done if we can bypass the LLB checks (it's being worked on). The dev teams are trying to find an exploit in the bootrom for this exact purpose. Now, if they do find the exploit and are able to utilize it, this will work, but until then, the sig checks will stop it from working.
  10. red_5

red_5 Member

Huh...

What about replacing the bootrom with our own? Or did I read somewhere that this was illegal? Or impossible?