idea for pseudo-jailbreak...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by __Spartan117__, Jan 13, 2009.

1. __Spartan117__

__Spartan117__ New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    well, heres my idea:

if an ipod or iphone is marked as development device, it can run unsigned code. so, if cydia or a similar program went open source, it might be possible for any mac owners to download XCode, the cydia source, and then compile it and send it to the ipod. it might not be allowed the control that it is on a jailbroken ipod (probably no folders app or that one that lets things run in the background), but it would be able to run.

this is of course assuming that whoever created cydia will be even nicer than they already are.

i think it would work... if not, any open source app could probably be placed on an ipod touch 2g... it should work...
  2. Sarcasm Siempre

Sarcasm Siempre New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    It's not just a question of copying Cydia.app onto the iPod. It has to be set up a certain way to work at all, and without a jailbreak that can't happen on the 2G. Am I correct in assuming that even the unsigned apps developers put on their devices can't run outside their own folders? If so, then this will not work.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
  3. fyvel

fyvel Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    cydia is open source... but im pretty sure this has been tried...
  4. __Spartan117__

__Spartan117__ New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    well, maybe not like cydia in particular, but a specific game like gamboy4iphone or gpsphone might be able to be transferred, as long as the place for save games and ROMs were change to in its own directory.

and i think you are right Sergeant Pepper, but thats why i excluded the folders and that background thing... you might be able to find a way to get permissions to all folders, but i doubt it.
  5. Meikura

Meikura Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    No, this avenue has been discussed to death and it's the wrong way of going about it. Applications must be signed before they are put on the iPod/iPhone, and that means everyone would need the $100 Apple Developer licence.

Applications are also sandboxed, so they can't access outside of their own folder. Any applications spawned would be immediately killed by the OS too.

Believe me, it's the wrong avenue.