Idea for iPhysics!

Discussion in 'iPhysics [old jailbreak version]' started by Nevermind42592, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Nevermind42592

Nevermind42592 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
  2. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

A few problems.

1) That Flash thing has infinite omni-directional scrolling and randomly placed objects, two things iPhysics does not yet support.
    2) The barriers are a bit forgiving, meaning you can squeeze the larger polygons that make up the ragdoll woman through spaces that seem too small for her to fit, and the Box3D engine (what r4m0n uses as the core of iPhysics) doesn't feature those kinds of "soft" polygons.

Also, the lack of 2D texture mapping would make it a bit plain looking, so until that and the items in point 1 are supported, it would not yet be possible to do something like this.
  3. Nevermind42592

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Ohhh alrite, i'm a bit of a n00b so I don't really know a whole lot about it, I just thought it would be a cool game to put on iphysics. But thanks for giving me your input!
  4. berky93

berky93 New Member

well there is the levelpack "ragdoll physics" which im sure has inspiration from falling girl. and what do you mean "soft polygons?" theyre just shapes connected by joints, which is entirely possible in iphysics.
  5. MooTheCow

MooTheCow New Member

'Infinite' scrolling is possible (fakeable)as I will (one day) prove with my Moo'n'Patrol levelpack. Omni-directional finite scrolling should also be possible but I've not managed to get it working yet. Textured polys sound like they're on the way. And other than that it's just the Ragdoll levelpack.

I wonder sometimes if anyone will bother to use iphysics anymore once Safari supports their favorite Flash sites.

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

Rigid-Body Physics: A set of core physics routines to simulate the physical interaction between rigid (hard) objects. The objects are not malleable and cannot be arbitrarily deformed. Used for simulating hard-body objects like glass, plastic, metal, etc. iPhysics does support a kind of material simulation that can alter its bounciness (the restitution key), but this has no physical effect on the polygons themselves.

Soft-Body Physics: A set of core physics routines to simulate physical interaction between soft objects. These objects are malleable and can be arbitrarily deformed. Used for simulating soft-body objects like cloth, rubber, skin, paper, and anything else that can bend, bulge, fold, or be or otherwise deformed. This type of physics engine requires much more processing power due to the additional object attributes and arbitrary physical modeling calculations that need to be made.

r4m0n uses a physics API called Box2D. Box2D only supports a rigid-body physics model, so it would not be possible to simulate objects that can be deformed in any way.

You can simulate an object that has deform points by jointing together multiple smaller objects, but depending on the number of objects and joints, this can significantly slow the game down. Ragdoll Physics is a simple example of this. It would be difficult to get much more complex than that, and it would be impossible to truly simulate soft-body objects the way a real soft-body API does.

I've suggested omnidirectional scrolling to r4m0n, so hopefully he will add real scrolling eventually. I'm curious how you plan to fake it though.

Of course we will! You can't design cool levels for Flash games, and you can't play them offline. (Well, I'm sure it would be possible with a standalone flash player or even a flash-to-iPod converter that tacks a runtime on to the flash app and makes it executable.) Plus, I've yet to see a Flash game that is as advanced as iPhysics is, much less how advanced it's going to be when it's done.

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. Steaps

Steaps New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Isn't SeBsZ regdoll lever like what you discribed?
  8. Nevermind42592

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    nah not quite. Click my link at the top to see what i'm talking about.