[IDEA] Amarok Remote

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by mrfajita, Jan 2, 2009.

1. mrfajita

mrfajita New Member

Anyone who uses Linux knows Amarok. When my sound card arrives in the mail, I do not want to be forced to switch back to Windows on my desktop just so I can remotely control my music with my iPod. On Google I found an open source Amarok remote app for the Android G1, so possibly somebody with access to the SDK could port it to iPod touch.
    http://www.jsharkey.org/blog/2008/08/20/amarok-14-remote-in-android-using-dcoppython/
  2. Beans

Beans New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    this would be so nice since if someone could make it or use the remote app from the app store and modify it so it works with armarok as well
  3. mrfajita

mrfajita New Member

I don't think modifying it would work as well because (since iTunes is made by Apple, go figure) the libraries for remote are probably NOT open-source. Making libraries for iTunes work with Amarok would probably take more effort and time than writing an entirely different remote app.
    I am not suggesting programming is easy, by the way, if I were saying that, I would make my own remote app.

EDIT:
    I found one that runs in the web browser
  4. Cyanidepoison

Cyanidepoison Active Member

I made a networked remote/server plug-in for Rhythmbox in Python in about 50 lines of code.

Steps to make this yourself:

1. Design a network protocol for communicating with the client. (Short UDP packets work well for this)

2. Write a server to receive these packets and act on the data inside them with whatever kind of API Amarok has.

3. Write the client for the server you just wrote to send these packets based upon command line options, button presses, etc.

Easy as pie.