IDEA!! 4 Program with booter right on ipod

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by nickman89, Feb 14, 2009.

1. nickman89

nickman89 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I have a great idea if someone wants to start working on this. I am a college student, and today i was at the library when my ipod 2g froze, i do not have a laptop so i could not reboot my ipod portably, and my apartment is a good walk. But the library has computers all over. I want to make some kind of program or even a script that i can put on my iPods hardrive and when i plug it into a computer and put it into DFU Mode, the computer would run the booter or script (ex. Voltage Booter) and thus boot my ipod up. With this we could boot our ipod up from any computer, anywhere. The only problem i for see is maybe the computer would not be able to start up the program because it is on the ipod, and the computer can not read the hardrive when it is off. But if we found out a way to make a readable partition on the ipod, but make it only readable to computers, it might work. This would work because it would just be a partition completely separte from the ipod files or firmware. Then we could even plug in the ipod and just open up my computer and navigate to the partition and run the booter, even when the ipod is off. I really think that we should start working on this because i do not see the dev team ever releasing an official jailbreak that will allow us to actually restart our ipods without having to put it into DFU Mode and such.
    Thanks let me know yalls opinion on the matter.
  2. iPod Touch™

iPod Touch™ Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Very interesting idea, but idk what you mean, DFU Mode takes like 18 secs to get into, is it that much of a hassle?
  3. Tom_L222

Tom_L222 Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Voltage uses the .net framework so it wouldn't be possible to execute that from an iPod, or any other jailbreaking program (even ones designed for mac). The ipod would have to boot to execute any scripts so its not possible.

There are boot tools that don't require any installs around and that don't use Lilusb. So you could just save one of them in an email attachment and download if if you ever need to boot your ipod.
  4. rafarquhar

rafarquhar New Member

You will need to use DFU mode, no matter what.

I think someone already wrote a portable booter though. You could throw that on a flash drive, assuming you have/use one.
  5. MeowMixer

MeowMixer New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    That wouldn't work well. What if your ipod was OFF and you had to boot it without a computer? There is no way.

Heres a better idea:

What if were was a SUBSTITUTE for booting so that instead of booting when you held the sleep button it would use the substitute instead.

Could someone make anything that this?
  6. nickman89

nickman89 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    really what is this program you speeak of where can i get it because i really need it