I'd like to use my iPod Touch like *any* MP3 player!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by SWriverstone, Apr 2, 2009.

1. SWriverstone

SWriverstone New Member

Hi All—general question here...

I love my iPod Touch, but I absolutely HATE iTunes.

I really want to be able to use my iPod Touch like any garden-variety MP3 player—meaning I want to be able to connect it to any computer, Mac or PC (not the "authorized" computer)...have it be recognized as a simple hard disk drive...open a directory window...and drag 'n drop MP3 files back and forth to my heart's content!

If I have to reformat my computer (which I often do)...I want to be able to simply copy all the MP3s on my iPod Touch right back to the computer—no questions asked, no hoops to jump through.

And if I want to copy the MP3s on the iPod to my desktop computer, my office laptop computer, and my personal laptop computer, I want to be able to do it—no questions asked, no hoops to jump through.

So my question...is this possible with a NON-jailbroken iPod Touch?
    --or--
    Is this possible with a jailbroken iPod Touch?

Thanks!
    Scott
  2. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Wait till 3.0. You may never need iTunes ever again (Aside from updating/restoring/diagnostics/maintenance)
  3. SWriverstone

SWriverstone New Member

Thanks Teslanaut...can you offer any more detail? (Or should I just Google iPhone 3.0?)

It's kinda frustrating...iTunes has been such a thorn in my side that I've had the same songs on it for a year and haven't once tried to add anything new because I don't want to have to deal with the hassle.

Perhaps the hassle isn't as great as I perceive it...but I'm busy, and time is precious, and if it takes more than 5 minutes, I'm outta there!

Scott
  4. jamil_d

jamil_d Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Apple likes to be a bit restrictive; you can't copy songs from iPod -> Computer or Unauthorized Computer -> iPod, because of Fairplay DRM and antipiracy measures.

There are several DRM removal tools, but to the extent of my knowledge, they're illegal and therefore should not be used.

Apple makes it even more difficult by randomly naming every song in your iPod to a file name like this: AAAA.mp3, where AAAA is replaced by random 4 characters.

You can copy songs from iPod -> Computer with several shareware and freeware software on the internet.
  5. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    You could use Sharepod?
    It works just fine for me.
  6. SWriverstone

SWriverstone New Member

Thanks for the Sharepod tip—does Sharepod work with the iPod Touch? (I've tried other apps like Anapod, Yamipod, etc and most don't seem to work with the iPod Touch...just older iPods...)

Scott
  7. jamil_d

jamil_d Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
  8. flyingguitar

flyingguitar Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    you could use dtunes and SSH all of your songs to /var/mobile/library/downlaods
  9. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    Yea Sharepod works with my 2g just fine.
  10. wife-i

wife-i New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thnx for the pointers...I was looking for something like this myself..

Please Register or Log in to view images

I dont know abt other features but Drag n Drop is a must for me..Hope sharepod does this.