I'd like some recommendations, por favor.

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by SkylarEC, Jan 5, 2009.

1. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

In my photo editor, I have changing the color space working, then encountered a memory bug that caused me to put the app on hold for a month. I don't feel so bad, because the bug stumped all other big names that I asked (pumpkin, saurik, BigBoss, et al). Mind you, they all could have solved it on their own much quicker than I have, but that's neither here nor there.

The point is that I am making considerable progress on the app. I have finished adding in the overlay system (which only took about an hour, honestly).

Right now, the app can now change the color space, and add overlays: see screenshots below.

ColorSpacing

Please Register or Log in to view images

etc.

Overlay

As you can see, I added the "Overlay" button, so both that and the "Colors" work (and cooperate). I am considering pulling the "Props" feature, as I don't really want to go that route anymore. But, I still need some effects to populate the "Effects" button.

Any ideas? Remember, I am not recreating a PhotoShop, or similar app. That is beyond the scope of the app, and considerably out of my skill set.

EDIT: Also, if someone wants to do some PhotoShopping for me, it'd be greatly appreciated. I am currently looking for nine 30x30 images.
  2. thechungster

thechungster Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    What kind of images do you need? Just some simple ones, such as the examples you show in the pics?
  3. jaymzleon

jaymzleon Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    What if in effects you could do something like "invert," "glow," "solarize?"
  4. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    As the ipod touch isn't a pro camera I think you need to look at effects that will instantly change the pic and give good instant results that people can use - things such as making the photo look older or provide an artistic representation... pixellate, pointilise, sepia kind of effects. Also as the processing power is limited these would probably be set effects rather than an effect that can be graded.
  5. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

I wanted to keep things as simple as possible, for the reasons you've provided. Luckily enough, I can manipulate the images instantly right now, which is a step above what I see other apps do. They take a long time to convert, t Sepia/Blue/etc for example. I think the reason is that I go incredibly low level, leveraging CoreGraphics and QuartzCore to the max. I am literally working with bits at this level (!)

I wrote this mostly for others who read this thread know to keep things simple. I plan on adding an aging effect, as well as a bunch of misc effects (It's hard to explain what's in my head, so I won't).

And lastly, I plan on adding a "Draw Mode," where you can draw, or insert writing. These two will be in the effects category, bring my total of "effects" to at least three.
  6. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    That would sound like the ideal set of effects and features to have. Too many of the camera apps around seem to try too hard and fail. 'Camera Bag' does well as it achieves what it set out to do - several standard effects. While other apps that add graphics and text also seem fairly popular, though I havent tried them. Putting all of these useful simple one-shot features together in a stable app would seem to be the ticket.