iCassette or similar products good for in car sound?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by craynerd, Dec 30, 2008.

1. craynerd

craynerd New Member

Hey guys

I have a 2001 Landrover Freelander with the standard headunit but with CD autochanger fitted. I could easily fit a new headunit with aux/ipod input but that, I imagine, would make my autochanger redundant.

I owned a Belkin fm transmitter some time ago with an old ipod and I was never impressed, it hissed and sometimes lost connection. Fm signals are strong in Manchester - UK and I found I nearly always hit a used channel at some point in my journey. I believe the kensington transmitters are excellent but expensive and not only that, I have emailed kensington and none of them will charge the touch 2g. We`ll I`m not paying that sort of money if I don`t get full functionallity.

Which comes to my questions - how good are the offical iCassettes or similar ebay sold aux -> tape adapters? What are the disadvantages ? I play heavy rock pretty loud so if it ends up distorting at high volume (another thing that the belkin did!) that`ll be no use either. I don`t know, just something about converting to a tape puts me off but is it going to be my only way??

Appreciate any advice or alternatives.
    Chris
  2. alibeatyou

alibeatyou New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I have a cassette thing, if you play the music really loud and its not a great quality mp3 it sounds like sh*t, but that could just be my car, overall i like them better then the fm transmitter thing
  3. rrroscoe

rrroscoe New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I had a couple different FM tranmitters with varying results, but none real good. I tried the cassette adapter, and wow, what a difference. No interference, no fading, no searching for signal..... The volume control on the iPod is still functional, so the songs you want to blast through the head unit can be further adjusted with the ipod to prevent distortion.
  4. craynerd

craynerd New Member

Thanks for your replys. I`m going to get one but can you tell me if you guys are both commenting on specifically the official ipod one, i think it is called the iCassette or are the 3rd party ones good enough?
    Chris
  5. rrroscoe

rrroscoe New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I got mine at Best Buy. It is made by DYNEX. It just plugs into the headphone jack. It was right around $20.
  6. alibeatyou

alibeatyou New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    yeah i dont have the official one either, i think mines by belkin maybe, its white. i got it at kmart for 19.99:]
  7. eberglar

eberglar New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Don't bother with the Apple branded unit; you'll be throwing your money away. Do they have Walmart in England? I picked up a Philips brand unit for $12 US. I would think that they're pretty much all the same, which is to say that the sound quality is much better than what you'll get from an FM transmitter.

That being said, if you have the means to acquire a new head unit with an auxiliary jack, that would be the best way to go.
  8. craynerd

craynerd New Member

Cheers guys.

just ordered a Belkin Cassette adaptor from fleabay for £8 so will let you know how it is!

Chris
  9. rrroscoe

rrroscoe New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    You will be much happier with the cassette adapter than the FM transmitter- keep us updated when you get it.
  10. HLR Element

HLR Element Banned

i think i'm going to run out to the store soon and get one of these too, i just got my license and i just have our family car to drive around and radio sucks lol