iCache ( Backup like never before [ DEVELOPING ] )

Discussion in 'Application Ideas' started by popbandgeggel, Mar 24, 2008.

1. popbandgeggel

popbandgeggel New Member

Well, as most know, restoring your iPod over and over is common to your average jailbreaker....

So, I've decided to make a program just to make things simple.

Working on a name for it, but at the moment, it is called iCache.

iCache is a simple, but useful program.

What will basically happen, is this.

Simpley plug in your iPod to your computer and run iTunes.
    iCache will be a computer/iPod installed program that picks up your iPod through iTunes.

Once you've connected, just open up iCache and the iCache app through your iPod.

On the iPod screen, there should be something similar to a button called Cache!

What this will do is trigger the iCache computer program, and search all of your "important personal" folders.

The search can be edited through the program.

For example, if in the Comp iCache version, you set you cache findings for /Applications and /private/var/mobile/Media/ROM's

Thats exactly what it will back up.

iCache will hold these files in its own program folder.

Now, lets say your iPod corrupts somehow and you need to restore.
    With iCache, it will be NO problem.

Simple restore, re-jailbreak, install BSD and maybe Jiggy, I'm not sure what I will make this with yet, and just press the button on the computer program close to something like

" Cache Restore "

It will go and place all of the folders you backed up, onto you iPod.

NOTE: This is just a very, VERY rough plan, I will try my hardest to make this.

With the 2.0 FW SDK thats coming, it should make it much more easy.

I know Bosstools has something close to this, but this is just a much faster way.

Wish me luck!

Please Register or Log in to view images

1 person likes this.
  2. itssamad

itssamad New Member

Finally!

Finally some1 made an app where i can backup my apps and transfer them to my comp

now i can jailbreak to 1.1.4!

3. ipod touch fan

ipod touch fan New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    dude i support u 100%. some1 finally made this app. The whole hacker world needed this app. But donnot also forget about the mac users.
  4. crazyvanya

crazyvanya Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    I know that another user, chrisstroud (i think), has made some harmless pranks, where there is a utility to backup and restore the /Applications folder. I've done the back up, but haven't tried restoring the apps yet
  5. popbandgeggel

popbandgeggel New Member

iCache 1.0

I'll try to make this as friendly and simple as possible. It may just run through WinSCP or CMD DOS. Not quite sure yet. I do how ever want to make this into a iPod app, where applicatons can easily be reinstalled.

Last night I brainedstormed another idea. iCache will be just that. The iPod app you install will have you create a profile. This will have a username witihn a 'location' for saftey. What happens, is iCache pulls the app NAMES from your folder, and uploads them on your profile. When your ready to restore, you would simpler run iCache via ipod and put in your username and location. It will then take you to a screen that shows a installer repo for getting your apps back. Just type the source in installer and add, installer will show the apps of which iCache found and backed up.

There is a problem with this though. iCache will only backup and recongize apps that are already in the systems database. This means slot of random foriegn apps may not be backed up. Mostly major apps only. Like drummer, customize, BSD, mxtube, ect. I will take requst to upload more apps on the database though.

Permission will also be needed from the app creator.

So in a small nut shell, that's iCache.

No computer needed, done all via iPod.

Expect it up and running sometime next month.

~ Charles
  6. shuffle

shuffle Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    take your time dude, if this app works well than it will be used my almost everyone!
  7. tvc412

tvc412 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I agree with everybody here this will be one of the greatest apps of all time!