IBM Project Sequoia (Aka Skynet)

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by CocaCola, Jun 22, 2010.

1. CocaCola

CocaCola New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    IBM Sequoia is a supercomputer being built for the United States Government. What will it do? Well, forecast weather, observe astronomy ... and oh yeah, it'll manage the US's nuclear arsenal.

FACTS
    - 20 times faster than the current fastest computer, and faster than the top 500 computers in the world COMBINED.
    - If each of the 6.7 billion people on earth had a hand calculator and worked together on a calculation 24 hours per day, 365 days a year, it would take 320 years to do what Sequoia will do in one hour.
    - It's on Linux. Insert windows vista pun here.
    - It'll be the most power efficient super computer ever made.
    - It'll be finished on 2011, and be fully integrated into the Govt's systems in 2012. Yes, that's right. The year that Cameron said Skynet would become self aware (Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles). Also, the Cherokee said that a metal box would shoot fire out of it's arms and blow up the world in 2012. Or something like that.
  2. iPwn

iPwn Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    How many million i7s are in there lol?
  3. qaiz

qaiz Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    Where the hell are they building it??? We have to stop it! Its my destiny!
  4. CocaCola

CocaCola New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I read awhile back it uses a few thousand AMD 1.8mhz processors, but my recent google search says it uses custom IBM processors.
  5. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Should we be scared?
  6. CocaCola

CocaCola New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    "The machine will be built, tested and benchmarked in IBM’s Rochester, Minnesota plant, home of the Blue Gene class of supercomputers the company builds for ulra-scale computational applications. The hardware and software development will by provided by IBM engineers in Rochester and by researchers in IBM’s Yorktown Heights, N.Y. research lab, in partnership with the Lawrence Livermore National Lab and the Argonne National Lab."

Unfortunately, we have no reason to believe that this is true. It could be built in another location, and they are just trying to throw off the ones who know the truth about the project.
    On a completely unrelated note, IBM likely has some EMP proof walls around some of their computers. Someone who might accidentally detonate an EMP near the computer might not destroy it.

Shåwa, we still have time to work on our fallout shelters. Also, Sequoia needs a terminator army before it feels confident it can take us out.
  7. iPwn

iPwn Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Crap! we need to start an undercover project to kill the machine.
  8. Fishy

Fishy Member

Device:
    iPad
    I know I'm afraid.

*grabs shovel and starts digging a hole*