I would like to make my first app.

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by Wilabob, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Wilabob

Wilabob New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    OK, This is what I want to do, tell me if it would be too hard. I'm in high school and I know one common problem is knowing what the block rotation is and what class you have next. Almost everyone has a jailbroken ipod touch so this would appeal for most kids. I think it would be really helpful to have an app that tells you what the block rotation is and what class you have in that block. You would customize your classes and block orders for your semester and school. Example:
    A Science
    B Math
    C Woodwork
    D Art

Next day it would tell you:
    F Science
    E Math
    H Art
    G Woodwork

This is the first two rotations. Our school names days differently for example this is the block rotation for one week.
    ABCD
    FEHG
    CDAB
    HGFE
    ABCD

This would be customizable for your school. Then the app would have to relate to the calendar and skip weekends. I'm not sure how you would make holidays work but I'm sure there's a way. Maybe a button that you click to say today's a holiday so the thing doesn't get all screwed up. This is my first app although I did make a pc game once (platformer) I have a mac and downloaded SDK tools and XCode. I really need some guidance with this one. Any help would be great!!
  2. Meikura

Meikura Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    What's wrong with iCal?
  3. Gershmer

Gershmer Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Good point. (Or Calendar, on the iDevice, actually)
  4. Wilabob

Wilabob New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    You can't do this for multiple things though. You would have to go through and type the rotation in individually. This takes too much time. And about the double post thing. I read that this is for tutorials so I posted in the other place. Is my idea possible?
  5. Gershmer

Gershmer Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yes, it certainly is. (I assume you will have to input it manually, though?)

@Parentheses (I am so lame) <-- Did it again. Ok, @First Parentheses, I mean that there will be predefined selections, or you just package the whole year into one app. (then it will definitely have to be on Cydia)
  6. Meikura

Meikura Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    You're telling me it's easier to write an application from scratch, having to build a calender app which will record the rotations, and allow for things like editing, then having beta testing to make sure it works fine is EASIER than sitting down in front of your laptop, typing the times of your lessons into iCal, then pressing "sync".

And no, we don't allow duplicate threads.
  7. Wilabob

Wilabob New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    @ Gershmer How do I even start though? I'm just starting with app dev. Are there any tutorials that would work for my needs?
    @ Meikura No, I'm thinking on a bigger scale though. I want everyone to be able to use this. BTW this is just an excuse to make an app I don't care if iCal is easier. Soz about the double post

Please Register or Log in to view images

I also want this to be used by other schools or in future years. That's why I want it to be customizable.
  8. Collateral

Collateral Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    My 2c

As a first project i think this would be great. My first projects were things like grade calculators. It doesnt matter if you already have something that does it, do it for the coding experience.

I say go for it.
  9. Wilabob

Wilabob New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Where do I start? Can you give me a link to a tutorial or something? This is my first coding experience. Thanks
  10. chris96

chris96 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch