I would like the clear up some BS with the AppStore.

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by sentinel, May 10, 2008.

1. sentinel

sentinel New Member

I wanted to take this time to explain what the AppStore is the people who constantly and inaccurately portray what it is and how it will work. If any of you watched the apple event video, you would understand more what I'm frustrated about.

Okay, right now we have the Installer. Installer is the method of which you connect to online repositories of applications make using the current toolkit, download, and install them automatically onto the iPod/iPhone. Installer is completely free, except for applications which have built in registration.

AppStore is basically Apple's way of reinventing the Installer, the only differences being that the content is controlled by apple "you can think of it being installer with only one repository" and SOME of the content is shareware "you have to pay for it." The DEVELOPER chooses the price, not Apple. The name "AppStore" does not imply that everything costs money. Thus if most of the developers submit applications for free, then the AppStore, apart from the upgrade cost, will be free. Current Jailbroken developers can simply use the SDK apple provides, port their apps, submit to Apple, and Apple if they see no problems with the application, will provide it in the AppStore.

The only other difference is that Apple will be very selective, as in most things like system hacks and emulators and the such will not pass the "inspection." This is where people who want to continue to jailbreak may continue to do so.

+
    You don't have to pay to have them on the AppStore unless your selling them as shareware. If you want to post a free app, Apple will host it for free for life, but if you want to post a shareware app, then they take a portion of your earnings. Watch the video or read up.

+
    iPhone and iPod users will have to pay a "nominal fee" as Steve said.
    2 people like this.
  2. padsquad43

padsquad43 New Member

what "bs" are you talkin about?
  3. sentinel

sentinel New Member

It just seems like a lot of people don't understand what the AppStore is. I think that a link to the Apple March 6th Event Video should be stickied.
  4. justinede

justinede Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    yes but to submit you apps to itunes you have to pay money!!!! so if you do that your losing close to 100-200$$$
  5. Boss Kamikaze

Boss Kamikaze New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    what r u talking about nearly everyone watched the video...your just babbling on about nutin you and your 9 posts like im going to take u serious
  6. Tman47

Tman47 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    okay, they have a free version of the SDK fyi...
  7. Winterboard

Winterboard Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    good explanation, but you forgot to say touch users will have to pay!
  8. sentinel

sentinel New Member

This is exactly what I'm talking about. You don't have to pay to have them on the AppStore unless your selling them as shareware. If you want to post a free app, Apple will host it for free for life, but if you want to post a shareware app, then they take a portion of your earnings. Watch the video or read up.
  9. sentinel

sentinel New Member

I said that it would be free aside from the upgrade cost. iPhone and iPod users will have to pay a "nominal fee" as Steve said.
  10. sentinel

sentinel New Member

Obviously withs posts such as the one above yours, people haven't watched the video. Btw, post count should never be taken as a method of crosschecking the validity of a user. Anyone can have 3000 posts, no matter how dumb they may be.