i wonder if apple is coming up with a plan?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Raptor5150, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Raptor5150

Raptor5150 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    hey guys and some gals i was thinking today that when apple releases 1.1.3 i think their planning on giving us haxors somthing irristable or somthing really good that we all might want and boom once we upgrade were cought in their net of doom and cannot restore or downgrade (or maybe even jailbreak) so im just saying dont be tempted to update

cheers
  2. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

I doubt it is even within Apple's power to prevent the ability to downgrade. Well, I'm sure it's in their power, but it would be extremely unlikely for two reasons:

1) iTunes is designed specifically to allow you either to update or restore directly from the Internet, or do it from a local update file on your hard drive (the shift-update and shift-restore methods). It is essential that iTunes have this functionality in order to accommodate those who do not have a working internet connection, either because it's down or they are not near one, or those who have connections that are too slow to make an internet update practical or tolerable. iTunes gives the option of downloading update files to be stored locally instead of installing them automatically, and Apple wouldn't dare remove this feature from iTunes lest they feel the wrath of their own customer base.

2) There is no way in hell Apple would ever remove the ability to revert to an earlier firmware version in the event of a failure during the installation of a new one, or in the event that the new one contains flaws that would make people want to switch back to the old one. Again, they would incur the wrath of their customer base and remove an essential failsafe method that could recover a person's unit.

I really wouldn't worry about it. 1.1.3 will absolutely kill the current jailbreak method (until the TouchDev and/or iPhoneDev teams figure out a new method) but I can pretty much guarantee that it will not prevent you from reverting to an older firmware version. Jobs is a control freak, but he's not stupid. It probably will have one or two "must-have" enhancements to entice people to upgrade, that's almost expected, but you'll be perfectly safe if you just want to try it out and then go back to 1.1.1 or 1.1.2. Whatever exploits 1.1.3 patches will re-open as soon as you restore to 1.1.1.