I wish More OS's Would Do This

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Teslanaut, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch

Please Register or Log in to view images

SuseStudio is a website that allows you to create your own SUSE based Distro that has everything that you need or want in it. It then stores an Image of that distro on their servers ready for you to download at anytime, burn/restore to a Storage Medium, and install on a computer! This should be available to all Operating systems, Mac Windows Linux. Create your own disk image of what only YOU need or want in the OS you use. You can even test it from within the website itself! It offers a VPN like interface where they virtualize your build of SUSE Linux so you can test it out, tweak it, before you download and install it. I'm hoping that Ubuntu does something like this very soon in the future, so you don't have to go around to different Ubuntu Distro sites and so on. Offer them all one ONE site like this would be nice.​

2. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    For doing something like this with an Debian/Ubuntu distro you can use Remastersys Tool.
  3. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Looks cool. I'll try it out tomorrow.
  4. Teslanaut

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Online?
  5. Nburnes

Device:
    OnePlus One
    Eh no. But you don't have to wait around to receive an invitation to be able to use their tool.
  6. Teslanaut

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Remastersys doesn't look like it does the same thing as SUSEStudio... Does it?
  7. Nburnes

Device:
    OnePlus One
    How's that? Other than building your own OS inside of your browser and testing it? Some people don't care to use a SUSE based distro.

If your that worried about what is inside your OS, just build your own.
  8. Teslanaut

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Noo noo, what I'm saying is, Novell built this site so people can build their own SUSE based Distros online and Novell stores all the images on their servers for you to download or test at any time. I'm hoping more Linux distros (Such as Debiant/Ubuntu and maybe even Android) do something similar to this, creating a site for people to create Distros of their choice to download. And then, [whatever] willing, Apple and Microsoft would follow suit with something like this.

No needing to download software to create your own Distro, no needing to download anything to test your own distro before you install. Saves lots of time and space.
  9. Nburnes

Device:
    OnePlus One
  10. SiXAXiS

SiXAXiS Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    This. Is. A. Epic win.