iPhone 3GS I was forced to 3.1.3 on a 3Gs tethered.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by IceBerg, Feb 5, 2010.

1. IceBerg

IceBerg New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I have had the unfortunate experiance of being forced to update to 3.1.3

I have a brand new 32G 3Gs which has teathered only jailbreak. This was no problem but I installed some things from Cydia that needed a reboot. This is normaly not an issue, but I had the phone pluged in to my MBP and iTunes was open. What happened next was freak and rare but I thought I should warn everyone just in case. When the unit rebooted I did not get the normal usb restore screen. I got the glowing black DFU screen. Nothing I ran would restore or get me out of it. Trying to restore even the original 3.1.2 from apple resulted in the nice error that my phone was not authorized for that version (the usual downgrade error). After spending 6 hours trying to figure out a way out of DFU (in hind sight I should have just let the battery die and hoped for the best) I ended up letting iTunes download and install 3.1.3

It's sad because at this point with the newest everythign I have no way to go back. I miss my 5 column springboard and 5 dock icons already. I know the brilliant guys at dev-team will eventually have a solution for me, but in the mean time I seem to be stuck.

Let my mistakes be an education to you so you dont end up in my shoes.
  2. gunzmaiet

gunzmaiet New Member

try doing the guide below IF YOU HAVE ECID STORED ON CYDIA (if you pressed the make my life easier on Cydia)

1. Have the 3.1.2 firmware handy
    2. Add
    74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
    to your hosts file
    if you dont know where the hosts file is, it is C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts (Windows) and /etc/hosts (Mac OS X)
    3. Reboot (possibly not necessary)
    4. Shift+Restore on Windows or Option+Restore on a Mac
    5. scroll to your FW file and you should be good
  3. IceBerg

IceBerg New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    yea I hadn't done that. I installed winterboard first thing and that is what caused the reboot. I had only JUST got the phone and JUST JB it so nothing was stored. It sucks because with this new of a phone and 3.1.3 there is no way to tether either.

I had a touch 2g before this so I didn't think about doing any of that, I was use to just installing what I wanted.

I wont make that mistake again either.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    I dont suppose there is a way to manually enter my ecid to cydia from the web or something.
  4. jom34

jom34 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    yes gunzmaiet is right..