I WANT to learn how to do Graphics!

Discussion in 'Graphics, Design, and Photography' started by Waffle2jazz, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Waffle2jazz

Waffle2jazz Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Ok so i WANT to learn how to do graphics (yes that means avatars, sigs, banners, etc). I would consider myself with no experience as i try'd doing graphics awhile back and i got no where and learned nothing. Well I've always been interested in graphics and want to learn and make my own! I have no idea where to start. I own no programs for graphic design at all. To make this a little more organized i will make a list of questions i have and i will probably have more questions as i go along.

#1 - What program should i use? I know Photoshop is the way to go but i sadly got no money

Please Register or Log in to view images

What should i do? What program should i use? any good free programs that have features similar to photoshop?

#2 - Where should i go to learn? I know i am extremely limited to learning graphics at a Multi-Touch fans where its about apple products and sorts. Is there any good and highly recommended site i should go to that is all about graphic designs, making themes, etc that would help me tons?

Surprisingly thats all the questions i thought of at the moment. I know i will have plenty more as i go. I just wanted to start here and hopefully i will find a good place to go to get specific advice. Thanks!

P.S. Oh yah and also give me any additional advice on where to start, making graphics, anything really

Please Register or Log in to view images

anything that will make me better. Also, stories of how you got started and learned would probably help me as well.
  2. taptaptouch

taptaptouch Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Dl Gimp, its free
    the easiest way to learn is practice, and youtube/google. after you get gimp down u may be interested in PS
  3. rofl.

rofl. Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    1 - Get Gimp or paint.NET to begin with.

2 - Deviantart.com
  4. berky93

berky93 New Member

my recommendation would be to get GIMP and use that for a while, and if you find you want to get more serious move on to photoshop. look at tons of tutorials, they help a lot.
  5. Waffle2jazz

Waffle2jazz Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Is Gimp missing a lot of photoshop's features? What is so different?
  6. youmightrememberme

youmightrememberme New Member

Gimp is the most professional free tool you will find. the difference is that photoshop is more widely used and easier to find help with. it also allowshigher quality images than gimp, due to the render feature. but gimp is the way to go. there are tutorials all over the web that teach how to do specific things in gimp, but you'll learn what each tool does in the mean time. as a mid range gimp user, i can say its definatly the way to go.
  7. berky93

berky93 New Member

unless you start doing really complex things you probably won't need to use any tool that gimp is lacking. photoshop has more features, but gimp has enough to the point that anyone would be satisfied except for the most professional designers.
  8. Vince

Vince Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Also in Gimp the location of things is a bit different, so if you're trying to use a PS tutorial you're probably going to have to dig around a bit.
  9. rofl.

rofl. Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Or the person can just look up gimp tutorials and not photoshop tutorials...
  10. ipitouchy

ipitouchy New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    However, GIMP's buttons are mostly the same.