I want to develop

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by dude19, Mar 9, 2008.

1. dude19

dude19 Banned

ok until i get a mac which will be in about 4 months im stuck with the toolchain, and i want to practice maybe making some REALLY REALLY simple application (but harder than hello world) i can learn quick i just need to learn some coding skills can anyone recommend a free pdf, a good learning book? i want to learn basically just to code for the iphone for my own use and maybe if i get good enough for other peoples uses

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. Vision_Again

Vision_Again New Member

Device:
    iPad
    Do you have any prior experiance?
  3. dude19

dude19 Banned

no im trying to learn obj -c , or the main code used to develop for the iphone but i dont know where to start . i saw john zidarski (think thats his name) well his book for the iphone would that help me at all. i really don't wanna develop anything much besides iphone applications, or maybe something for mac. sp i guess i sohuld learn cocoa?
  4. lazyasada

lazyasada Banned

ya i want to develop to i have already did my own source so i guess i have some experience
  5. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Download all the source code you can and browse, peruse, and figure out what does what.

For me, the bulk of my knowledge comes from looking at other people's source code, or from opening the executables of already compiled apps and searching for method calls to compare to the corresponding headers.

The hardest part is UI. If you can build your own Preferences Table from scratch, then you can build anything. I'd recommend looking into something like that.
  6. lazyasada

lazyasada Banned

well that is what i do i get a source code then edit it and i make my own
  7. dude19

dude19 Banned

ok should i look for source code of lets say the finder.app for the ipod or the source of and open source game that runs on linux ? thanks skylar i think the hardest part will be all the typing. so i finished installing my toolchain (i uninstalled last time ) should i just open some source code? compile? think i needa read up on some books
  8. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Search code.google.com for iPhone apps. Also, track down the iApp-A-Day site and download the source code for all his apps. Then head on over to Nate True's site and download the source for NES and Dock. Etc... That should give you enough to start with.

EDIT: While not conforming to the standard conventions, the iApp-A-Day apps are easy to understand and usually only do one or two things, so they are easy to take in.
  9. dude19

dude19 Banned

is it bad that cygwin opens a command prompt then closes it real quick casue i wont be able to compile without cygwin. correct

nevermind im really happy cause i edited the .bat for cygwin myself to make it work lol yay too late school tommorow i'll try to make my first app
  10. coffee27

coffee27 New Member

"I want to develop"

Ya, So does my sister