I want an iPod touch if . . .

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by gary3594, Apr 29, 2008.

1. gary3594

gary3594 New Member

I am completely new to the digital world. I don't have a digital camera (use a Hasselblad and Nikon F6, black and white only).

I am tired of carrying my computer on the plane for movies and music. (I don't have a iPod or any type of portable music player). I want to watch my own DVD movies and listen to my own CDs using the iPod touch if possible.

Can I download my own DVDs and CDs onto an iPod touch or do I have to pay via iTunes for music and movies. I heard of ripping DVDs which are encrypted. Would I need such a program to load my movies and music onto the Touch and what program(s) would you recommend. What kind of software is included with the iPod touch?

I probably wouldn't buy music/movies over the internet but would want to load my own DVDs and CDs. Thanks in advance.
  2. Masky64

Masky64 New Member

3. angrysheepdog

angrysheepdog New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    itunes is the program with the itouch, but you will need another to convert your DVDs to ipod format. Chances are though, if you have no idea what you are doing, the itouch is a bit too much for you (so many possible features and such). You would prob be better off with an ipod video. not quite the same, but a lot simpler and would cost less (you never want an expencive first ipod). just talk to a friend that has had an ipod, it would be a lot easier than using these forums (generally geared for a lot more advanced discussion - you might get quite a bit of flak from members who are a bit immature but act like they know everything because you are asking such questions).

Again, I would say someone you personally know who has had at least 2 ipods is the best person to go to (just one is not enough for them to make comparisons).
  4. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    For DVD Ripping directly to the iPod Touch, Handbrake is the tool for you. It is free and Open Source and Cross Platform. iTunes can Rip your CD's for you. iTunes can sync your Ripped Music and Movies for you. As for converting from other sources, Xvid4PSP is the greatest thing for Windows Ever.
  5. Masky64

Masky64 New Member

6. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    iPod touch runs a modified version of Mac OS X I believe. It comes with a certain firmware depending on the date you buy it and where you buy it from. The firmware will either be 1.1.1 , 1.1.2, 1.1.3 or 1.1.4. Most likely if you're purchasing it brand new from a retail store it will be firmware 1.1.4. Anyways, you`ll need to first rip them to your computer and then convert the DVDs and CDs so they can be compatible with the iPod touch (mp3, mp4), at which time you can place them onto your iPod touch using a program called iTunes (Download it from apple.com/itunes).

If you're interested in purchasing movies, music, etc from the iTunes Store, you'll need an iTunes account and then if you are connected to internet on your iPod touch you can purchase right on the iPod itself. You'll pay anywhere from 99 cents for each song, 8 dollars for a season of South Park, etc. depending on what you are purchasing.

Good luck with you're iPod touch!